Caster oil

Does anyone in Canada have a line on some bean oil?

I need some oil to blend in with methanol for top lube.

Would prefer Klotz or something familiar but I am at the point where blended RC fuel is starting to look good ( cutting it with methanol to get around 2% to 4% )

Hey your good at this.

I tried all kinds of searchs and found nothing.
They have Uplon on the shelf!

And I thought I was going to have to get oldschool ( little joke ) and start mixing some bean and synthetic myself.

Can you get Maxima 927? (motorcycle shop)
I tried a couple of places around here and people tried to sell me Yamahlube crank case oil, Castrol brand motor bike oil, and one fellow even tried to sell me a gallon of Evinrude oil injection premix.

They just don't get it....

Can't ship liquids in the mail.
But Klotz made it easy order direct in Canada.

Thanks guys

I guess I should add some points.
If I were to use a bean oil I would probably go with a 25% bean and 75% synthetic.
I just want the tops of the cylindes a little wet I bet I at 150 to one and still have more oil than I need.

The Klotz is better, its super thin mix I probably closer to 500:1 or more.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

Oldschool

You didn't REALLY expect to find anyone behind a counter that knew about caster did you?
Many moons ago used to compete in CL speed planes. My eldest had a national record in 1972 so it was a long time ago. Back then Klotz oil was a big new deal in the engines that often lasted one 30 second flight....but needed to last two. It was finally found out that, better than straight Klotz, was the 25% [or so] caster and 75% klotz; same ratio you named using synthetic. The kloz alone was troublesome and caster alone was not the hot set-up if you qualified for a record attempt and needed to use, per the rules, the same engine as used on the qualifying flight. The subject brings back memories.

Oldschool

You didn't REALLY expect to find anyone behind a counter that knew about caster did you?
Many moons ago used to compete in CL speed planes. My eldest had a national record in 1972 so it was a long time ago. Back then Klotz oil was a big new deal in the engines that often lasted one 30 second flight....but needed to last two. It was finally found out that, better than straight Klotz, was the 25% [or so] caster and 75% klotz; same ratio you named using synthetic. The kloz alone was troublesome and caster alone was not the hot set-up if you qualified for a record attempt and needed to use, per the rules, the same engine as used on the qualifying flight. The subject brings back memories.
I am afraid I expect too much from people behind counters these days and I get pissed off at them when they look at me stupid.

I recall a time not to far back in the distant past when part of working behind a counter meant you needed to know what you were selling.

It also meant you had some Idea where to get replacement parts.

It meant you were suposed to be able to provide some advice and technical support.

BOY have things changed.
These days when I am in a foul mood with Canadian tire or one of the bigger parts hardware retails I take a handful of BSF bolts in and ask for some nuts.
This results in confusion and much foolishness that makes me feel a lot better before I leave.
I also enjoy taking antiques into said store and asking for replacement parts.
This results in more confusion if you can produce a Canadian tire logo and price tage when the stupids tell you they never made one of these.

Back in the 80s I rced a little with some retro Mac/clinton/westbend kart engines. As I recall I used Bean oil from the local hobby shop. Back then they had shelves of stuff that was useful if you wanted to mix your own nitro and lubricants into fuel.
Seems to me I used a blend something along the lines you sugested.
Thanks for the tips and reminder on the mixing ratio.
I am still toying with the idea of cutting some bean/synthetic blend premicx RC fuel with methanol. I found they only have 15%-20% nitro mixes here for the rc plane guys on the shelf..
I don't want or like Nitro, but the concentrations should be low enough if I use some not cause trouble( less than 1% I won't even know its there ).

Motra

Here's another company that still makes castor oil: www.blendzall.com
Amazon should be able to sell you any kind of bean oil you choose. I like the Klotz Benol, I use it in all my 2-strokes. The stuff smells amazing.

65ShelbyClone

There are also methanol-specific top end lubes marketed to racers, usually through speed shops. I can get both Castor 927 and hobby fuel locally so I'm not concerned with availability, but it's always good to have options, right?

Oldschool

I still run Klotz/Castor in my 2 strokes. Mixes with anything, runs cool and clean, makes good horsepower and has killer film strength.

Started using it in RC racing hydroplanes back in the mid 70's mixing with methanol and nitromethane - 40% nitro, 40% alcohol, 20% oil blend fo 3 to 1 ratio.

Small world guys. :wink: