Cat 250KE

FunWithStuff

You have a Cat 250X. There is no such thing as a Cat 250KE. What's the serial number on it? You can tell what year it is from the serial number. There should be one stamped on the front of the motor mounting plate.

FunWithStuff

Lol.. Cat forks are always bent. Not sure of the part no. But try BMI carts for a wheel. They used to have NOS Cat wheels.
It seems most bent Cat forks are on these 250X's. I think it's because Cat had basically no shock absorbers on these bikes so any hits it took went directly to the forks. Not the best design lol.

FunWithStuff

Well looks like I was wrong! I actually remember seeing that brochure but I thought it was called the "250XL" but now I see it says "KE" I guess you learn something new everyday :)! The first two digits of your serial number indicate the year "70" means that you have a 1970 Cat mini bike.

As for locating a seat good luck I've never seen one of those before I've seen a decent number of the 250X seats but never one of the KE's before. Wouldn't surprise me if there may only be one or two in existence because since that bike was made for girls I'm sure WAY far less of them were sold than the ones made for boys (since the majority of the mini bike market was boys).

You would probably have better luck getting one made I have an extra 250X seat (not the correct seat for your bike but the same size) I can get you dimensions if needed and someone can try to make the pattern for you.

Well looks like I was wrong! I actually remember seeing that brochure but I thought it was called the "250XL" but now I see it says "KE" I guess you learn something new everyday :)! The first two digits of your serial number indicate the year "70" means that you have a 1970 Cat mini bike.

As for locating a seat good luck I've never seen one of those before I've seen a decent number of the 250X seats but never one of the KE's before. Wouldn't surprise me if there may only be one or two in existence because since that bike was made for girls I'm sure WAY far less of them were sold than the ones made for boys (since the majority of the mini bike market was boys).

You would probably have better luck getting one made I have an extra 250X seat (not the correct seat for your bike but the same size) I can get you dimensions if needed and someone can try to make the pattern for you.
Thanks for the info. The seat dimensions would be helpful if you don't mind. as far as painting it back to pink that won't fly around here with 5 grandboys. I did find it interesting that they did do a pink one for girls wonder how many they actually sold I guess the biggest challenge will be finding an aftermarket rear wheel and sprocket

That could be a "good luck" as far as finding a replacement (and not bent) set of Cat forks. There are talented individuals who know how to correctly bend them back (not me), some of which are members on this forum. I have seen forks bent worse than yours that have been restored.
Michael

Triley41395

Thanks for the info. The seat dimensions would be helpful if you don't mind. as far as painting it back to pink that won't fly around here with 5 grandboys. I did find it interesting that they did do a pink one for girls wonder how many they actually sold I guess the biggest challenge will be finding an aftermarket rear wheel and sprocket
What size is that wheel? Brochure says 6 inch is that correct.

45t

I always thought it was called a 250KC. I bought one for my daughter years back (1969 model). They did originally market them for girls but they didn’t sell. I was told that unsold ones were repainted to be sold to boys. Not too many pink ones exist. Yours is the only other “girl bike” I’ve seen. Seat flower pattern is impossible to find, so I went pink glitter with black top. Rear wheel is a 6” non disc and non drum brake due to the scrub brake set up. I’m not sure if the sprocket is available anymore, maybe hent can hook you up with one.

2E767A34-BFC7-4CB5-98A9-2BCAFA8A88B5.jpeg
5848BE06-E135-4947-A6A5-FF85AECB3244.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

FunWithStuff

Sounds good! Give me a few days to have time to dig it out of storage and I'll get you the dimensions. I'm not entirely sure where you could locate this sprocket at. The other sprocket used on most Cats can be found at BMI Karts but I don't know about this one.

FunWithStuff

Here are the seat dimensions @hdalepalmer.

The seat has a length of 11.75 inches
Two different widths of 5.5 inches and 7.75 inches and a height of 2.75 inches. The side of the seat slants out some to make the two different widths. I've included photos of the seat with markings to help you out. I hope this helps!
Polish_20230112_113353943.jpg
Polish_20230112_114155136.jpg