CDI for honda/clone

Has anybody tried to develop a CDI for honda /clone engine . I think i may have one figured out but still in R&D stage. Will give more info when i get all my parts in and do some testing. But it should be possible and i think i have finally figured it out. Gonna try at least. Any input ? All comments will be appreciated !

I have been working with CDI, and ignitions in general for over 3 decades. In the last decade, with a single cylinder focus. Drawing and documenting the wiring has been a big part of the effort, for example take a peek at page 2.

Will watch your thread here for progress and posts.

Jon

Last edited:
Thanks Jon, Your wiring diagrams are some of the same that i have been studying . Trying to figure to go with the ac or dc version but make it alot simpler . Just a CDI without the lights , only a kill switch. But are going to try both versions if everything goes right. Just trying to keep it as simple as possible. Maybe it will work or not but gonna give it a big shot.

AC-powered CDI is simplest. The exciter coil (charges the capacitor in the CDI module) generates a constant AC Voltage as the flywheel rotates. This is due to the flywheel having magnets all the way around its circumference. The constant power permits the CDI module to release a spark at any point in time.

A major limit when converting a magneto ignition engine to AC-powered CDI, is the flywheel having one magnet. At peak Voltage generation, the typical one-lunger fires the spark plug. Ignition timing is fixed within a narrow window of time due to this.

Contrast that designed-in timing limit to CDI, with the ability to fire the spark plug any time.

DC-powered CDI has the obstacle of requiring 12 Volts DC to power it, but the simplest engines lack the necessary charge coils, flywheel magnets, rectifier and battery circuits.

Don't let any of that discourage your experimenting! Keep us posted on your progress.

Jon