centrifugal clutch on jackshaft

i am putting a GX200 clone on a race kart frame. There is not a lot of room around the clutch to seat area. Can i put the clutch down on the jackshaft, assuming running same tooth count sprockets from engine to clutch ?? Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

Ah ! that's the bit I never thought out. Might be back to moving the seat over or do I drive the jackshaft from engine sprocket side with another sprocket and put the clutch on the wheel side of the jackshaft thereby driving the clutch as it would drive on a crankshaft ? Thanks jeep2003

Ah ! that's the bit I never thought out. Might be back to moving the seat over or do I drive the jackshaft from engine sprocket side with another sprocket and put the clutch on the wheel side of the jackshaft thereby driving the clutch as it would drive on a crankshaft ? Thanks jeep2003
Yes, drive the jack shaft, and use the clutch to drive the rear wheel sprocket. I didn't see the photo when I posted, but still probably wouldn't have spotted the error. :) Thanks @jeep2003 for pointing that out.

Why not move the axle sprocket on line with the crank shaft, and eliminate the jack shaft all together? the more moving parts in the drive train, the more power lost.

Why not move the axle sprocket on line with the crank shaft, and eliminate the jack shaft all together? the more moving parts in the drive train, the more power lost.
That is what I was initially going to do but the mount I have for the engine is not over far enough to fit the clutch to the engine without shifting the seat over to an uncomfortable position.

That is what I was initially going to do but the mount I have for the engine is not over far enough to fit the clutch to the engine without shifting the seat over to an uncomfortable position.
In that case in order for your setup to work you will need to run a "sprocket to sprocket" setup to drive the jackshaft, and a "clutch to axle" drive for your final drive. This will actually give you more options for gearing should you need to adjust it, however like I said more moving parts robs power, and complicates final drive calculations.

Also something to think about, If your clutch is mounted and floated properly it should not stick out further than the crankshaft on your engine. If the seat fits on the kart with the motor mounted, it shouldn't matter if there is a clutch on the engine or not

Also something to think about, If your clutch is mounted and floated properly it should not stick out further than the crankshaft on your engine. If the seat fits on the kart with the motor mounted, it shouldn't matter if there is a clutch on the engine or not
I am going to cut some off the end of the crankshaft for clearance. It is the taper of the seat side that fouls the clutch more than the actual crank. It needs to go over at least an inch and it is already offset. The gearing will be a bit of trial and error i'm picking ? Thanks for your replies, good to get some feedback and new ideas.

I am going to cut some off the end of the crankshaft for clearance. It is the taper of the seat side that fouls the clutch more than the actual crank. It needs to go over at least an inch and it is already offset. The gearing will be a bit of trial and error i'm picking ? Thanks for your replies, good to get some feedback and new ideas.
Be EXTREMELY carful if you plan to cut your crankshaft. Other than that, I hope I was of some help, and the best of luck on your build. Don't forget to post some pics of the final result.

Be EXTREMELY carful if you plan to cut your crankshaft. Other than that, I hope I was of some help, and the best of luck on your build. Don't forget to post some pics of the final result.
Yep, will do. And thanks for your input, sometimes stuff just gets by you that is so obvious from another persons eye. My first pic being glaringly so now, haha.