Chain guard

Whats the best stuff to make a chain guard? I was thinking cut the basic shape for the side, then cut a piece to go around and L brackets to hold them together and to bolt the whole thing to the bike? I haven't done this before. Not sure if it would be ok to wrap it or just a side piece and a top. young kids 6-8 will be riding it. Any ideas ?

I74

I' am with Chipper on liking aluminum. ;)

Basic workshop stuff is what I have been using lately.

Aluminum needs to be heated, clamped in a vise ect. bending with steady pressure,, holding the other end with an adjustable wrench ect.
I use 1/8 & 16th aluminum for most my stuff, easier to work with also.

I also have been brazing the pieces together with ''Alum weld rod'' that you get from Harbor Freight , using a propane torch,, 'Map gas is even better'
The metal needs to be 'very'' clean, using a stainless wire brush.
Each contact piece needs to be brazed first, & then clamped together & heated again,, to fuse.
It takes about 740+*f to get the rod to puddle.
If you do it correctly & take your time,, you will have a 'very' strong brazed joint.
The PSI strength of that rod is around 40K.
There is a bunch of You- tube vids on using it, & stuff like it.
It does take practice, & patence.

Cutting out radius sections ect., a lot of times, I draw the curve,, & then drill a bunch of very small holes along where I drew.
You can then take a hack saw, & cut sections to where you drilled the holes, & then break each section off with using vise grips ect.

If using a grinder, be ''very'' careful with what type of wheels ect. you use.
Aluminum clogs in those very easy, & can potentially make the wheel ect. explode.
''Basic metal safety stuff''.;)
Check out my GX 200 swap thread if you like, my latest chain/clutch guard is in it.
Best of luck.
I

sounds like an idea. I have a lot of woodworking tools and machines. I know about clogging up stuff as when I was young in the Navy I filed a piece of aluminum and the file went pop. I didn't get hurt but learned from that. I could bolt some sheet metal together but not sure about aluminum and brazing, guess I could try. I am going to have to read up on it. I can see that would be strongest. I have a bunch of electric saws I can put metal cutting blades in to cut it not sure about bending it. Maybe just a 90°.

I74

Aluminum ''hands down'', would look better than sheet metal also.
If you are good at woodworking, I don't see why you would have a problem with aluminum.
Kind'a think of it as the same, when cutting & finishing. ;)
When cutting & drilling it, you definitely want to go slow,, with min. press.

I74

Added,,
Of course you have other options of fastening the pieces together, with using aluminum rivets,, or machine screws & nuts ect.

45t

Here is the one on my sons bike for reference if it helps.

you’d need to fashion a bracket that bolts onto the engine and make a guard that’ll bolt into the bracket. I’ve always thought that the aluminum street signs would make a great clutch guard once you trim to size and they’re easy to bend to shape.

Attachments

DaddyJohn

I just cut a piece of sheet steel to shape and bend it into a U-shape. You can score the bend lines with a die grinder to make it bend better if you don't have a brake. I find 14ga gives a good compromise between weight and stiffness.

Attachments

I will look at the ones in the warehouse. I may try cutting a piece out Thanks Daddy John. Lots of interesting types. I was thinking of covering most of it. Just in case. My grandson thinks he is a hot rod.lol