Chappy Tech Questions

I'm new to this forum, but I've been working on "stuff" since the early 1970s. I haven't touched a two stroke engine since around 1978 so I have a couple questions about that and general Chappy information.

I purchased a yellow 50cc Chappy with pedals but no engine from a scrapyard thinking I'd get around to fixing it someday, someday has arrived. I had planned on putting a 110cc four stroke in it but I stumbled onto another Chappy for sale on FB. The second Chappy is a basket case but it did come with an 80cc engine. I have no idea if it runs but it will be going into the yellow bike since it's more complete and not messed up. The second Chappy is red, is a noped and has had all of the chrome painted black. I'm fairly certain it is missing a bunch of parts but it has things I need for yellow.

I plan on cleaning up the engine and changing the oil. I have a carb that may or may not work, the original is missing.

1) Should I replace the reed valves before going further, or just see what happens?

2) Can I convert the system to 12V without spending $300+? I will be taking it apart to check the points, etc. I would love to convert to CDI but $300 is not in the cards.

3) Is there anything else I should look for in the engine?

4) I read somewhere that you can pop-start a Chappy, even though it has a centrifugal clutch, is that true?

5) Is there an off the shelf match for the yellow? The bike has a bunch of scrapes, etc.

I plan on using the yellow bike to putt around while camping and maybe register it for road use. I camp at a racetrack a couple times a year and old bikes like the Chappy are common. (No Chappies, but a few old Hondas and mini bikes.)

Thanks for any assistance.

I have a chappy , was originally a 50cc , but I put a 70cc big bore kit on it

The best site for info on chappies is moped army
Also treatland mopeds is a great place for parts

Good luck