Cheap Chinese VFD's, are they good enough?

Bikerscum

I was just given a surface grinder from my work, & need to power it. I have 220 single phase, I need 220 3 phase @4 amps. I'm looking at this... Chines VFD

I don't need to control speed, reverse, ramp up/down, etc. etc... I just need 3 phase to a 1 hp motor.

Any experience here :shrug:

Never heard of those drives. I usually prefer ABB. The ad is terrible with the translation of wherever it came from.

VFD's convert the AC input to DC then take that DC power and create AC that is really pulsed +/- DC.

As far as a VFD creating a third pole... Never tried it nor have I ever heard of it being done with a VFD. Usually that requires a single pole motor driving a 3 pole motor which generates the third leg. I suppose the electronics in a VFD could be set up to do that but :shrug:

Might be easier to just find a single phase motor for it.

I had a similar issue with a table saw, I went to a local elect motor shop and they built me a phase converter for about $50.
Might be an option. :shrug:

Its hard to say if its good quality.
But its SO cheap its kind of nerve rattling.

I realize the parts inside are not expensive its just the engineering and technical suport you pay for when you spend a grand or more.

I don't know....
It has a european look to the terminal.
220 volt 3 phase is kind of wierd can't say I ever seen anything other than 208 in this voltage range.
No line and load reactors suplied ( might not be needed but I would ask )

If you need single phase, I would just buy a single phase motor.
1 Hp is not that hard to find and no electronics or gizmos to build for it to run.

Bikerscum

A little searching under the actual part number hy02d223b seems to show they're in widespread use. No electrocutions that I can find :thumbsup:

The CNC guys use them a lot for spindle power & speed control.

I may try one & just unplug it when not in use. Not sure how I'd feel about it being live when I'm not around.

Bikerscum

Well, I gave in to my racist mentality that the Chinese can make a nuclear weapon, but can't possibly make a good VFD. I bought this one for just a few $ more Hitachi VFD
I'll sleep better at night.

There is a guy on youtube goes by the name "Aussie50". He did a video about them and he stated that he replaces them ever 6 months because they are not reliable for longer then that and they are cheap enough to do so. Best get a quality US made one.

I was just given a surface grinder from my work, & need to power it. I have 220 single phase, I need 220 3 phase @4 amps. I'm looking at this... Chines VFD

I don't need to control speed, reverse, ramp up/down, etc. etc... I just need 3 phase to a 1 hp motor.

Any experience here :shrug:

Send me the hp and full load amps of the motor and I can assist. I'm an electrican:hammer:

Bikerscum

I don't have the grinder home yet to look, but I remember it's 1HP 4A 3 phase. I already bought the Hitachi VFD, hope it will work... too late now lol.

I don't have the grinder home yet to look, but I remember it's 1HP 4A 3 phase. I already bought the Hitachi VFD, hope it will work... too late now lol.

When you get the grind and VFD, ensure the VFD is rated 1hp. Next you will have to program the VFD for the motor's specs. You have to enter the full load amps, the frequency, and the motor type into the VFD menu. If you don't know how. Call the VFD mfg customer support and they will walk you thought it.

There is a lot more to the programming of a VFD than just that. Ramp up speed, ramp down speed, time to full power, dynamic braking, and the list goes on. Most of these you won't use though.

I would use the ramp up speed to slowly bring the grinder up to speed. Since that VFD is only rated for 6a for 60 sec, and startup could be considerably more amps, it would be good to limit startup amperage over time.

The 4 amp rating on the motor is full load at full speed. Startup requires much more amperage. The running amperage of the grinder will probably be less.

One other thing. If the grinder's motor is not inverter rated, it may have issues.

I program and remote control VFD's(mostly ABB) and a lot of other gizmos at work.

Well, I gave in to my racist mentality that the Chinese can make a nuclear weapon, but can't possibly make a good VFD. I bought this one for just a few $ more Hitachi VFD
I'll sleep better at night.
And I'll sleep better knowing you found a better solution without buying yet another Chinese product like many folks end up doing. I had an old circular fan for 30 years and it finally gave up, I should have had it re-wound and new brushes put in it. I buy four chinese fans at Wal-Mart every year now, they simply do not last but I have to have them.:doah:

I wish General MacArthur would have gotten his way in WW2, he was a great visionary.:hammer:

There is a guy on youtube goes by the name "Aussie50". He did a video about them and he stated that he replaces them ever 6 months because they are not reliable for longer then that and they are cheap enough to do so. Best get a quality US made one.
Bill I don't think they make these kind of electronics in the USA anymore.
Not even Japan increasingly.

Malaysia, China, Thailand, thats where electronics comes from lol.

The Prices seem to have dropped considerably since I was last looking.
Not that I purchase or pay for them I just install, but they sure are a clot cheaper than they used to be.

That hatachi sure is cheap!
Guess drives have now become cheaper than motors.
ANd you know this is a goood thing in many ways, you know have good speed control too!

Bikerscum

I may be wrong but I think the motors are special on surface grinders. They are meant to grind things to .0001 or less, I think vibration from a regular motor would be an issue.

Anyway, that's why I went with the VFD.

Speed control isn't an issue for the grinder, it's constant speed, but a milling machine may be in my future too :thumbsup:

Every thing is made in China , VFD , variable frequency drive , it has nothing to do with creating 3 phase ! You need a rotary phase converter for most standard motor aplications when only single phase power supply is available . Google Ronk , they are an American Co . that makes many different types of phase converters !:thumbsup: