Check this H35 muffler.

capguncowboy

The funny thing is that all the right parts are there. There are just a few extra pieces in between. Maybe they were trying to the exhaust away from the bike?? Not sure, but I wouldn't mind having that engine. I just wouldn't pay that much for it

That looks Rube with all those added pipe fittings but believe it or not I think that is a Nelson muffler that came stock on some bikes like Trailhorse and is very tough to find:

Hard to tell if it's 1/2" pipe or 3/4" pipe...if it's 3/4" than it's not TH correct and more common.

There's also a vintage Tecumseh hot dog muffler stuck on the end...and that's a nice looking mini bike specific motor.

I would say that's a deal compared to some of the stuff we've been seeing lately.... that would be a great motor for a survivor bike.

Last edited:
Upon further review I would say that is not the Trailhorse 5HP muffler which has a pipe thread on one end and a split tube on the other for a slide pipe. Also the recoil is clocked in a funny position for a mini bike and it's riveted...:shrug:

Last edited:
You know, shame on me for tunnel vision. I didn't even notice the recoil as I was so focused on the muffler. You are correct sir. Good call.

Doc

capguncowboy

I don't think the blower housing(shroud) is original. Someone has added washers to the headbolts. I'm guessing the original was rusted so this cover was pulled from another engine. That would explain why the recoil is turned 90º clockwise

markus

I wonder what the original application was for. the tag is riveted to the air deflector not the shroud and it appears to have had either an electric starter or maybe one of those side starters on it which might be what that strange mount was for. May not have came with a recoil, and that one was maybe added.

Some prime parts still there though if your building an early Tecu powered bike bike and want it to look right, depending on what the front of the shroud looks like. The backing plate is cut out though.

The one with 3/4" pipe thread on both ends is more common..I think they were used on tractors or something. The Nelson for the BB Trailhorse is 1/2 NPT
I could swear that the Nelson muffler used on the Trail Horse big block engines was 3/4" NPT. The big block Tecumsehs are tapped 3/4" so I would doubt that General Appliance reduced the size of the muffler. :shrug:

Here is Tippycanoenm's engine from her Trail Horse. I believe the engine is the original one. Looks like 3/4" to me.

Last edited:
I could swear that the Nelson muffler used on the Trail Horse big block engines was 3/4" NPT. The big block Tecumsehs are tapped 3/4" so I would doubt that General Appliance reduced the size of the muffler. :shrug:

Here is Tippycanoenm's engine from her Trail Horse. I believe the engine is the original one. Looks like 3/4" to me.
Could be 3/4" I forget...I just know the white one I pictured came off of that 5HP Trailhorse survivor that Peekster and I bought a few years ago. The words Nelson Muffler ran lengthwise and it did not have pipe thread on both sides...if I remember there was some kind of slip over chrome pipe.

Last edited: