Check your frame(s)!

Pics from a current CL ad that I just saw. Inspect your frame(s)! I think later models had a gusset in this area, connecting the top tube to the down-tubes.

baja1.jpg

baja2.jpg

I recently picked up a Warrior.I always add a gusset there. As well as weld up around the motor mount plate. Greatest Chinese bikes made in my opinion.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there a recall on these for this reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There were recalls (plus lawsuits and fines); you can still find info on some of them; not sure if the frame cracking/breaking was the cause of recalls. They mention the fork separating from the wheel; knowing government agencies, I would not be surprised if they worded the problem incorrectly.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2013/baja-motorsports-recalls-mini-bikes

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/mini-bikes-recalled-by-baja-motorsports

Another issue was leaking fuel tanks resulting in bikes catching fire.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/29/...ufacturer-to-pay-43-million-federal-fine.html

At the time when I worked for OldMiniBikes, I can remember people taking them in to tractor supply for the recall and getting a whole new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you please clarify where exactly the crack is ? I cannot tell from the pic what I am looking at.
Does anyone have pics of how gussets are shaped and added ?
Don't know what device you are viewing this on, but the crack is quite visible in the second photo on my largish monitor. I've circled the crack to help you find it. Perhaps @gumpit will provide pics of his gusset job.

baja1.jpg

baja2.jpg

Oh yea. That was very helpful. I could see the crack on the closeup but I could not figure where on the overall frame.

I guess I am ready for dive into some welding. What is recommended.... wire feed TIG or MIG or something else ?

I bought an old Lincoln AC/DC stick welder twenty years ago at garage sale but never plugged it in.

I think they crack there from the leverage of the footpegs twisting the front downtubes, if you try to stand on the pegs. they are too far forward to begin with. I removed my pegs and clamped a tube on the brackets. its much stronger on top of the frame and strengthens the area.

I think they crack there from the leverage of the footpegs twisting the front downtubes, if you try to stand on the pegs. they are too far forward to begin with. I removed my pegs and clamped a tube on the brackets. its much stronger on top of the frame and strengthens the area.
Yes, connecting the downtubes at the footpeg location would greatly reduce torsional stress on the downtubes, I don't know why they didn't run a tube across the frame instead of welding stubs to the downtubes.

Warrior.jpg
Photo stolen from @force , I did a quick and sloppy modification. May be a good idea to extend the gusset even further down than shown (an afterthought and I don't feel like redoing it, the crossmember also looks a bit puny now that I see it here). Gusseting the steering head area and tying the downtubes together at the footpeg location should do wonders for one of these frames. The gusset would greatly reduce flexing in the steering head area and the crossmember at the footpeg location would greatly reduce torsional stress (twisting) of the downtubes with an additional benefit of providing triangulation (the downtubes and crossmember form a triangle); the gusset also provides triangulation, it's just not as obvious. Triangulation of structural members is desirable in nearly any type of structure.

Good idea there, friend of mine had his welds break too. My frame is still in good shape but I've been thinking about reinforcing a few points including the gusset area. Maybe if/when I tackle some sort of rear suspension in the future.