chop shop project

markus

I have been wanting to chop a bike up for some time now. The bike I actually want to do it to though is a hard to find frame and once I start to plan something I overthink it and stuff never gets done (the build thread section is filled with my unfinished projects....this may just become another one of those :doah:). Not to mention I have never been much of a fabricator so before I 'Eff up a rare frame I better play with something post '70 that's not real notable in the minibike world.

So I had this Powerdyne, I bought it in a package deal along with a Rupp/Penneys "swinger trail" that was bought solely to part out. I did much better than expected on the parts and am still have more to sell so that makes this bike free, plus a surplus

dyne's have alot of space between the rails, I have been on the hunt forever for actual early frames that were setup more for 2 stroke kart engines, but have not had much luck finding anything, and I simply don't like all the open space if you put one on a standard frame:

so without much thinking I broke out the saw :doah:

Now I have been thinking about this on a different frame, that bike has a single downtube and the angles are almost a dead match front/rear, so actually to do that bike it would have been very simple.

I didn't factor in the angles of the front tubes on this bike till AFTER I cut it and and noticed the difference :1orglaugh: plus I plan on pulling 3+ inches out of it!!!

Sleeving it together is no big deal, I however am not a real big fan of working on headtubes personally only because I'm a shade tree welder, so I do want to avoid having to cut the tube off.

So been thinking I will probably make cuts somewhere on the bottom before the engine plate so I can turn the lower section inward and I am going to cut the lower reinforcement bracket off the headtube and cross my fingers that I can twist the downtubes a little outward without taking the headtube loose.

worst case I guess i could pull the tube and spread the frame and sink the tube in a little to make the space.

overall plans are to get this cut down to the point that a 2-3hp briggs could be slid in but be tight enough that the plug will have to come off the bike in order to do it, so its not limited to just a 2 stroke. for forks, I planned to simply cut the fork lowers down to go with the frame, and possibly take the cut section of tube and sleeve it onto the handlebars raising them a couple of inches OR I have these cool Rupp continental forks that are chrome which the tree spacing is just right to use and i could cut them down if I can get the springs off the lowers.

and yes I have done frame repairs before I already have some tubing that fits the ID of the frame snugly which will get installed and welded at all cuts :thumbsup:

It looks cool with all that extra height removed and the 2-stroke mill sitting in it. With shorter forks it will look like something stock. Bet it will make people wonder what it is, and prove a few wrong, too!

If you ever need beautiful pro welding, TIG especially, there is a reasonable guy in Sarasota I farm mine out to.

nice build.
try tack welding a rod on the outside of the tubes, bring them in and tack them to the other tubes. get them aligned, then weld em up. might have to strap the bottom frame to the table.
clear as mud?

markus

Thanks guys :thumbsup: Deeja, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

I was able to cut the lower tab loose from the bars a little while ago and I took a couple of pipes and slipped them over the tubes and spread them pretty easy. I can probably get a little more out of them this way without tweaking and then work with the lowers in hopes to get them more in line.

At this point I need to cut it down, I thought I had a small Briggs under the bench and went to grab it so I can mount it up and get exact measurements, but I realized I banished all the B/S crap out to the shed. Its pouring right now and I dont feel like going out there and getting soaked so it will have to wait :sad:

markus

ran out between raindrops this morning tot he shed and dug out one of the briggs I have to get a good measurement. basically I chopped right at 4" off and have it right about where I want it :thumbsup: just enough to shimmy the motor in if you take out the plug and little kill switch on the top. and there is enough room all around the plug to reinstall and not be an issue (if you use a short plug :wink:)

I made 3" inserts out of tubing that I found that was a snug fit into the frame, used a die grinder with a round grinding stone bit and cleaned down into the tubeing and cut edges, tapped them in and started tweaking here and there. Everything cooperated better than I expected :thumbsup:

No welding yet, gonna clean up and setup so i can get it a "square" as I can here in a bit, but it went together pretty straight with the help of my 100 year old wooden mallet, should not be too many issues to get it staight enough to not be noticeable.

I honestly would like it a little lower, as ultimately the idea is to use one of the kart engines for this, but I tried a couple in there and they fill the void pretty good once a tank is there at this height. so the bike will still be pretty versatile with its multi slot engine plate. May have to run a jackshaft depending on what engine I run though.

markus

So heres what happens when you cut before you measure :1orglaugh:

Fun fact, you must factor the angle the forks sit at into the equation apparently, because if you simply lop off the same amount you did on the frame it takes a wee bit more out than you anticipated!

I actually DO like it this low, I was not planning it only because I wanted to avoid raising the rear mounts out of sheer lazyness.

pictured above are the original wheels for the bike, I doubt I will use them, they were just handy to grab. I was just trying to envision things. I do like 6" wheels though. might try some 5" if I can run across some. I had planned to weld it all up at once but I will wait to do anything the forks till I finalize front tire size

markus

I got the welding for the frame connections and the headtube reinforcment put back into place this AM

didn't come out too bad, I kinda did what Deeja suggested, it came out pretty close. I used a piece of square tubing scrap and a big C clamp and drew the tubing in till it was about as straight as I could get it and tacked around it, removed and then welded the seam up entirely.

Now the hard part of deciding where the height will be set at. I kinda have a thing about big and little tires, so this pretty much how I want it to look (not everyones cup-o-tea)

I front is a 4.10 rear is a 5.30, both 6", I actually want to use 6" lil indian mags I just don't have any at the moment and the tablocs had the tires sizes I want to use already mounted sitting on the shelf. I think if I do this I could also use a 5" front wheel and 6" rear with a 4.10 tire and it should still sit pretty even on the frame. Right now the height of the frame is the same as my lil Indian sitting on 4" wheels. I also decided to not use the Chrome forks and keep these originals as I want to raise the handlebars up more and also re-position pull back of the bars so they sit a little more straight. So the chrome forks would have been a waste as of all the welding.

One thing I didnt want to do but I think I should is move the engine plate forward about 2" Its sits pretty far back on this version powerdyne, I probably should install jackshaft plates to give more options for gearing as I plan for a 2 stroke on it. with the Power products engine and the clinton megaphone I can gain a straight shot for the chain, but If I want to run the engine with the carb forward or a west bend 580/700 style I need the jackshaft not matter what to clear the exhaust.

I think for plates I want small and simple, I got the replacement Rupp jackshaft/swingarm mount for a '68/69 frame with a bike I bought. I'm thinking I will just cut them off at the height I want and weld them on, I will get adjustment from the engine plate and the Axle plates and they wont be big and bulky on the short little frame.

So I am making a lot more work for myself :doah:

markus

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!

When I started to cut this bike up there was a set of go devil wheels on ebay that I had my eye on and actually had them in mind for the bike, I bid but times are tough so I bid pretty soft and unfortunately was not the high bidder. Well I guess the high bidder flaked or something and I just got the 2nd chance offer so I took it :thumbsup:

They are 5" so before I start welding up axle mounts and the fork lowers I'll hold off until these arrive and see how they look on the bike.

Vintage Go Kart Wheels Tires Taco Fuji Bonanza Rupp Dart Rat Hot Rod Mini Bike | eBay

Hard to say how they will look on the bike, for the money though I can make use of them on something :thumbsup: