chop shop project

markus

Hey Markus!! Love this build!! I have some of the automotive door edge trim in black that I use for a protector between trees and frame!! Looks and works great and you just pinch it to make it hold to desired thickness as it has aluminum "U" shaped bits inside! Wont fly off like the fuel line!!

I would be more than happy to send you a strip to protect that beautiful paint job!!!! Just PM me an address to sent it to if you want!!!! :thumbsup:
OK thats Brilliant!!! Simplest idea and its been staring me in the face for years as I use that stuff all the time!! anything from VW campers, to helmet resto's, the boat...and the Last time I used some ironically was on a mini bike for a fiberglass bonanza seat trim even, never even thinking twice about using it that way :doah: thanks for that tip/idea!!!!

OK thats Brilliant!!! Simplest idea and its been staring me in the face for years as I use that stuff all the time!! anything from VW campers, to helmet resto's, the boat...and the Last time I used some ironically was on a mini bike for a fiberglass bonanza seat trim even, never even thinking twice about using it that way :doah: thanks for that tip/idea!!!!
:laugh: No problem!! :thumbsup:

markus

Got most of the clean-up done to the west bend, Polished the Flexo exhaust and installed a "Clark" chain guard:thumbsup:

Gotta Drill some hole in the exhaust bolt heads and safety pin them still....Dont want this one to come flying off 2 miles from home like My Reed muff did on this engine awhile back when the bolts shook out :doah:

Got most of the clean-up done to the west bend, Polished the Flexo exhaust and installed a "Clark" chain guard:thumbsup:

Gotta Drill some hole in the exhaust bolt heads and safety pin them still....Dont want this one to come flying off 2 miles from home like My Reed muff did on this engine awhile back when the bolts shook out :doah:
:drool: :drool: Very, very Nice !

markus

I started working on the Controls I want to use for this bike today, I had cut up and modified a couple of "Domino" brand italian throttle assy's awhile back. They are a slide type throttle mech and I like the way the cable feeds into side..they make for a pretty slimline units after they are modified. After some searching I had found some matching left side brake levers with the same casting so I could have a matched set. I like the domino cast in, they kinda match the cast in Flexo on the header and they are (at least now they are) polished aluminum as well :thumbsup:

Not sure what I want to do for grips yet, might just use some Hunt wilde's since I have quite a few of them here but would like maybe something like what the throttle has on it right now just without the flare up on the inside. My brake lever I had here is also beat up a bit, I am pretty sure I've some NOS ones in my Benelli stash which is a few hours north of me, I have to run up there this week so I am going to dig out my bins and see if I can find one thats in nicer shape, they are cool levers they have a heavy return spring built in and there are a few versions that you can use off the same perch, pretty sure they are stainless steel.

markus

That's an awesome bike Markus can't wait to see it all finished and perdy looking. :thumbsup:

you'll have to ride it, its small enough you wont be uncomfortable on it. It should have a little more zip than than the little blue one you rode around at the dragstrip :thumbsup:

The seat came in today, again would not call it the perfect seat, Just have not been able to decide what to do there so I just snagged one of these to start with.

This one is more comfortable than the last one I got from that vendor so that was a surprise :laugh:

Might do some gray control cables to go with the trim of the seat :shrug: Maybe try an and scrounge up a Rupp brake cable thats heavy duty for the brake they were gray, I think I have a new throttle sized gray cable around here somewhere.

CarPlayLB

Very nice Marcus! Looks great!

sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I have a Domino throttle I have been wanting to chop. Anything I need to look out for?

markus

thanks eveyone :thumbsup:

Very nice Marcus! Looks great!

sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I have a Domino throttle I have been wanting to chop. Anything I need to look out for?
They can be a an extremely tight or not fit at all on some bikes, I guess the old italian handlebars must measure a tiny bit smaller than here in the US. painted or powdered bars are gonna most likely be have to be sanded down for them to slide on (even after some opening up), and I found some vintage chrome bars to be a really tight fit too (newer made bars like from Emgo the slide right on) The real test would be the throttle tube itself if that will go on your bar and function fine than you can open up the cast housing.

When I cut the perch off I focus the most on working the bulk of it down to the low spot in the center, once I am just about there ( you can't really take it any farther than that low spot) then I start to shape the whole area out. sometimes there is some gassing bubbles/voids, not so much in the Domino made throttle, I have done about 6 of them and only had one with noticeable bubbles. Other ones I have tried, Magura mainly, I pretty much had to throw in the garbage because the voids were bad. I would say the Ci.Te one would be the same or worse-there stuff is pretty low grade.

CarPlayLB

thanks eveyone :thumbsup:

They can be a an extremely tight or not fit at all on some bikes, I guess the old italian handlebars must measure a tiny bit smaller than here in the US. painted or powdered bars are gonna most likely be have to be sanded down for them to slide on (even after some opening up), and I found some vintage chrome bars to be a really tight fit too (newer made bars like from Emgo the slide right on) The real test would be the throttle tube itself if that will go on your bar and function fine than you can open up the cast housing.

When I cut the perch off I focus the most on working the bulk of it down to the low spot in the center, once I am just about there ( you can't really take it any farther than that low spot) then I start to shape the whole area out. sometimes there is some gassing bubbles/voids, not so much in the Domino made throttle, I have done about 6 of them and only had one with noticeable bubbles. Other ones I have tried, Magura mainly, I pretty much had to throw in the garbage because the voids were bad. I would say the Ci.Te one would be the same or worse-there stuff is pretty low grade.
I am using one on my Quarter Horse with the brake lever. You are right about being tight! I actually had a bit more material welded on so I could get a full size grip on it. The 7/8 bars I had chromed made it a bit tight. I have sanded the inside down, but I have more to go! Thanks for the tips. I am going to give it a go on the other throttle I have!:thumbsup:

markus

I am using one on my Quarter Horse with the brake lever. You are right about being tight! I actually had a bit more material welded on so I could get a full size grip on it. The 7/8 bars I had chromed made it a bit tight. I have sanded the inside down, but I have more to go! Thanks for the tips. I am going to give it a go on the other throttle I have!:thumbsup:
Them being tight was one reason I backed off doing them on a regular basis and selling them awhile back, that and my source that told me they had about 20+ of them in stock for like around 15 a piece did not and all the assy's I was finding were running in the $40 range....I could not sell a modded one for much more than that.

Heres a comparison to get a better idea of how much meat you gotta carve off, the done one is one I got into some pinhole in the casting.

View attachment 71875 View attachment 71874

CarPlayLB

Eeeeuw...that's kinda ugly! Can that be filled with that swap meet aluminum solder? ...or you could do what Domino did and just bondo and paint it.

be careful with the left side lever. I tightened mine on a bar with a very slight bend and it broke! Thanks again for your help!