Vintage Chopper

Chopper

• yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im building a chopper bike from scratch its going to be super simple 3hp briggs regular clutch no jackshaft and a band brake on the clutch. No suspension I might put some springs on the forks just for looks. I only have half of an astro wheel so i think im going to use some spoked wheels i built. Id like to keep the original paint on the engine so maybe go with blue paint on the bike.

Attachments

Gonna be Kool for sure! You build some neat stuff! I watched your tracked mini on u-toob and been lookin for old tracked S-blowers now..Thanks!..Have you ever built a mini with a vertical shaft engine yet?

Yeah its a handfull! I havnt done a vertical one yet it would be easy enough with a right angle gearbox and iv got half a dozen in the shed. But i think id want to do it in a way that anyone could do with like a twisted belt or something.

cfh

some things to think about...
with that motor position you can only use a briggs with an integrated carb/gas tank. a tecumseh with a front mount tank won't fit. Also your chain length will be incredibly long with the motor that far forward. i have some choppers, and chain length is always a problem. that's why a jackshaft is nice. just something to think about.

Yeah its been a few years since iv built any bikes im having fun with it. I got the engine plate welded on so the frame is together. I wish i put it about a half inch forward more because im going to have trouble with air filter clearance. So I will probably have to modify one to fit without unbolting the engine. I figure somebody could just use a remote tank if they want to put a tec on it. As for the chain length I think its not as long as it looks in the pictures its a fairly small bike. But being #35 its certainly prone to problems I will take that into consideration. If all else fails i can always put one on later just turn the wheel around and run it over the other side. I have the mounts bearings and sprockets im just trying to keep it simple.

I made the axle mounts and the neck tube. Actually i made a fancier set of mounts but they were too fancy. If they made this bike in the 60s they would have been simple bar stock so thats what i went with. Also got the fork tubes crimped now iv got to make tripple trees. I have a set of bolt on bars that i think will be good. I thought about making an oldschool set of rams horns but im not sure if its going to look as good

Attachments

Looks good...I like the 8 spoke Invader wheel you made,Do you have a mate for the front?..Mini apes would look correct on it also for the bars.

yup that will actually be the front wheel and i have an identical one for the back ill weld the sprocket on. I did buy a second half for the astro but im going to put it on my cat i think.

I threw together the forks. I had a pair of tripple trees made from years ago that i never used but i had to narrow them and make the holes smaller. Then i welded them on and forgot to put the springs on. I knew i was going to. So i had to cut the crimps off the bottom put the springs on and weld the lowers back on. But its looking good. I also cut the engine slots and started on the band brake mount and started modifying an air filter to fit proper. The apes look pretty good. I have chrome vinyl wrap that i might wrap the lower forks and air filter with aswell.

Attachments

Today I worked on the seat a bit i made a couple brackets that will bolt on the pan to attach the sissy bar and bolt to the frame. It needs a new wood seat pan so i started on that aswell. Next I need to make a kickstand and finalize the band brake then i can make a clutch cover. I think im going to mount a bicycle headlight aswell just for looks.