Chrome versus powder coat versus?

I am starting restoration on an old Brooks mini bike & am wondering approx price & direction I should take with re-chroming fenders, springs, & handle bars. I am sure chrome will be big money so have you done a chrome color powder coat or found another reasonably priced option.
Pictures of what you have done, approx cost, & if you were happy with it.
Thanks for any help/advice.

fistfullabar

PatrickCraik

Nothing looks like or replicates chrome. I've seen the spray stuff, powdercoat and the super cheapo "chrome" in a rattlecan,lol! You could cheap out and powdercoat all the shiney parts black, lots of guys do it on cars,motorcycles,etc. I've even seen it on that retarded "counting cars" tv show. He painted the trim and bumpers black on a 60's GTO,lol! I think it looks like shit

PatrickCraik

fistfullabar

Bike and beards " paint this 50s harley chrome black" I was like dont do that!!!!
I agree shiny bits rock. Plus chrome is usually more durable on fork uppers sliding up and down.

fistfullabar

I am starting restoration on an old Brooks mini bike & am wondering approx price & direction I should take with re-chroming fenders, springs, & handle bars. I am sure chrome will be big money so have you done a chrome color powder coat or found another reasonably priced option.
Pictures of what you have done, approx cost, & if you were happy with it.
Thanks for any help/advice.
Any pics?

I had 3 Robertson torque tubes chromed at 125 each….it’s very expensive and in my opinion if it’s not a survivor with all the original parts it’s not worth it….of course I do ride mine occasionally and i let the kids ride most of them….

I’ve chromed powered coated before not great but ok in a pinch….burnish the wheels and anything you can….zinc plate the rest….my opinion….

Spent my whole career before retirement in the plating/coating/heat treat arena.
There is a lot of labor involved with show chrome or copper/nickel/chrome. The labor is in the
buff and polish of the parts prior to plating. Copper is used to level the surface to cover pits etc. prior to the nickel then chrome.
No doubt chemical costs keep rising due to regulations these days.
Chrome powder does not even come close to real chrome as stated above. Plus, even if you were to powder coat the parts.
pre-coating prep. is just as important. As an example: if your parts are now chrome that must be removed to bare metal.
for proper adhesion of the powder coat.

River Rat Ron

Another alternative is hydro dipping. I looked into chrome initially, problem being too expensive and the company was quite a distance from me. Hydro dipping can be pricey as well.
I was quoted 140 for this shroud so I did it myself for 28 bucks and had enough film to do other things.
Prep is same as painting, and a bit of a learning curve, especially on 3 dimensional things.
Dozens of film options available. This shroud will be redone as it messed up behind the pull start.

D6A17407-C887-4CB6-8C29-218986DD074B.jpeg

23A97B8B-7E5B-4BFE-B01D-81DC060C8798.jpeg

Last edited:
What about the heat? Peel off?
Another alternative is hydro dipping. I looked into chrome initially, problem being too expensive and the company was quite a distance. Hydro dipping is pricey as well.
They quoted me 140 for this shroud so I did it myself for 28 bucks and had enough film to do other things.
Prep is same as painting, and a bit of a learning curve, especially on 3 dimensional things.
Dozens of film options available. This shroud will be redone as it messed up behind the pull start.

View attachment 298174

River Rat Ron

What about the heat? Peel off?
Nope since it’s actually paint. It actually kind of melts into the paint below it. That’s why you dip your part while the paint is still tacky. Silver in this case. Then while still in the re coat time you start clear coating it. I’ve done a few slides on friends semi auto pistols. A lot of guys camo their long guns as well

Yep, it's pricey. But if eye candy is your goal, nothing else will do.
Full discloser: I have over 250 miles on my bike, all street riding. The forks are showing signs of road wear. A few dings here and there. But no regrets.
If you want to know $$$$, drop me a DM.
20210115_111128sm.jpg 20210115_110600sm.jpg

Last edited: