CL Bonanza BC250 Scout

Scored a nice little BC250 Scout this evening. Another CL poster that is a man of his word, I called the dude last night and we were unable to get together earlier and although he had a guy local to him burning up his phone he held it for me. That's like the third guy who did that for me when he could have sold it out from under me, he went out of his way to do the right thing. I thanked him not only for the deal but for being an old fashioned seller.:thumbsup: Here it is, still has the frame tag and one kidney bean wheel with good sprocket, not sure whether to sell the bike or try and get another Kidney bean and make a correct rider out of it.

buckeye

Nice score Ace. That fits right in with your collection.
Refreshing to know there are still good folks around.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I did decide to keep it and put it up till I find a wheel for out front. I have a BC400 clutch cover which I believe was also correct on the jackshaft mount frames but if I'm wrong it's still a gennie Bonanza guard. I was excited to see a baby Bananza here in Oklahoma, I had an 1300 and 1500 as a kid but this is the first one I'll keep since starting back in the hobby. I had a BC400 chopper when I first joined and sold it due to the fact it was simply too small. This 250 is also small but I can clear the bars with my knees so it'll be fine. So a kidney bean wheel and I need to make a seat base for my upholstery guy, the blue boat seat fabric is durable and the seat is padded good but it's terribly fugly. I'll leave the original finish for a while like my other bikes, maybe shoot a satin clear to preserve what's left including where the kid who originally owned it scratched his name in the paint. This is a keeper and it will eventually be somewhat restored.:thumbsup:

Can anyone tell me what engine and clutch cover this bike came with? Also did they come with kidney bean wheels? I have an original Bonanza cover but it's the BC400 Scout one, I've seen a shorter squared version on the 200 Scout but that bike has no jackshaft mounts. Did the longer cover come on jackshaft bikes?:shrug:

Dan-E-boy

Here's a pic you can go by.. the complete bike has the smaller scrub brake mounts, but the smaller pic showing the parts kit has the frame with the jackshaft mounts.. considered the same thing I guess:shrug: I think the clutch cover you have would be the right one.. its a little blurry but in the specs section it reads that the engine is a 2.5 HP.. and looks like a tecumseh to me...

oldfatguy

That was a nice score, it's a pretty rare Bonanza because you don't see many around . I posted some pictures of mine to get you thinking about restoring it to it's former glory. I used chevy orange engine enamel. OldMiniBikes warehouse has the correct chainguard.

That was a nice score, it's a pretty rare Bonanza because you don't see many around . I posted some pictures of mine to get you thinking about restoring it to it's former glory. I used chevy orange engine enamel. OldMiniBikes warehouse has the correct chainguard.

Thanks for posting the pics of your bike, I knew the small Bonanza was a good find when I saw it listed on CL so I made sure to get it. I have the right clutch cover as it turns out so I won't have to get a repop but I certainly would if mine was missing. Scooterboy did well getting those made. I also have a Bonanza Ks8Ball seat that's on my Trailblazer that I'm going to use and just replace. All I lack is an H25 and I know where one is but it's a long way from running. I can afford to be patient on this one and have a wheel in the works already, on my way!:thumbsup:

oldfatguy

I put a hs35 on mine that i pieced together from ebay parts. I just bought a nice hs30 that is all minibike original that I'm going to put on there because the 35 is pretty worn out.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/50112-bonanza-scout-mb-250-a.html
here is another member that has one restored and is more correct then mine is. I used Chevy orange engine enamel to pain my frame. I bought mine as a roller on ebay several years ago it even still had the original double eagle carlisle's on it.. I'm sure that if you watch ebay you should be able to score a decent engine. There have be quite a few for sale lately but some go for crazy prices.

I put a hs35 on mine that i pieced together from ebay parts. I just bought a nice hs30 that is all minibike original that I'm going to put on there because the 35 is pretty worn out.
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/50112-bonanza-scout-mb-250-a.html
here is another member that has one restored and is more correct then mine is. I used Chevy orange engine enamel to pain my frame. I bought mine as a roller on ebay several years ago it even still had the original double eagle carlisle's on it.. I'm sure that if you watch ebay you should be able to score a decent engine. There have be quite a few for sale lately but some go for crazy prices.
Yes, Scooterboy does great work. I will find just the right engine eventually and I have seen the price trends on Ebay and hope to avoid having to overpay, I have a side pooper sears edger engine that will get me by for a while if I just have to ride it. I did get the deal made on a wheel and should have it soon so I'm on my way and will have a complete roller with clutch cover once it arrives. I have shockingly little $ in this bike which makes it all the sweeter.:thumbsup:

OA
Nice score there really nice little bikes..
Here's one i recently put together..
I decided to go with over sized tires and replace the scrub brake with a drum brake..

BEFORE:

AFTER:

OA
Nice score there really nice little bikes..
Here's one i recently put together..
I decided to go with over sized tires and replace the scrub brake with a drum brake..

Thanks Don. So the link was to your bike and you mentioned Scooterboy in it. Some nice work on the bike, you brought it a long way and the drum brake is a good idea especially if you have the brake assembly. I've seen where someone sells em on ebay but I'll just go with the scrub for now but I know their limitations. I want to leave the original paint for a while so I will use the edger engine for now, it does have the PTO bolt holes so the clutch cover I have will work and look right. It's a galvanized original Bonanza part.

Thanks Don. So the link was to your bike and you mentioned Scooterboy in it. Some nice work on the bike, you brought it a long way and the drum brake is a good idea especially if you have the brake assembly. I've seen where someone sells em on ebay but I'll just go with the scrub for now but I know their limitations. I want to leave the original paint for a while so I will use the edger engine for now, it does have the PTO bolt holes so the clutch cover I have will work and look right. It's a galvanized original Bonanza part.
OA
Yes scooter helped getting the forks back in the correct shape..They were pretty badly bent just below the lower tripple tree.
I think yours is in great shape and having almost all the original paint is a plus.
Keep us posted on your progress..:thumbsup:

OA
Yes scooter helped getting the forks back in the correct shape..They were pretty badly bent just below the lower tripple tree.
I think yours is in great shape and having almost all the original paint is a plus.
Keep us posted on your progress..:thumbsup:
Thanks Don, I sure will. Got a kidney bean wheel on the way now so an engine is really all I need to get it to complete as far as parts go. I have plenty of time to work on it once it gets on the table, a few ahead of it yet.:thumbsup: