CL1 cam and GX140 valve springs?

I have the high torque version of the CL1 cam and noticed the cam card recommends only 10.5 LB valve springs. Its the hardened version. That seams pretty light. I am rethinking my build and kinda thinking of trying the GX140 springs as NR says there 16# will these run to the 6K that I am going to see? Think I might save some of the aftermarket parts I have and try to build the motor using as many factory mix mach parts as I can.

It is a low lift and duration is in the 220 range @.050 so it is a very gentle cam as far as lobe acceleration. It would not hurt to use 16 lb springs but they must think its OK with 10.8. Too much spring for an application will waste power but in this case a few more lbs won't hurt anything and it does say it is a hardened lobe so it wont wear it out either.

trinik7597

The 140 springs are where 18# springs first came from .. the gx140 head has different seat pocket height and can accommodate all the coils with out binding .. kart guys spin 6,000 plus all day long in stock classes with 10.8# springs .. it's all about having your geometry right

I though the stock springs and valve train have valve float around 5200-5300 RPM and limit RPM due to the valves floating. Are the aftermarket cams allowing higher RPM before floating valves due to softer ramps from the longer duration?

With the 10.8lbs they are speaking of can achieve 7000+ rpm with that cam...
Now speaking on that... those said springs will only last 1-2 race nights at that level before they get switched out...

That is a AKRA box stock cam, for that spec class...

With the 10.8lbs they are speaking of can achieve 7000+ rpm with that cam...
Now speaking on that... those said springs will only last 1-2 race nights at that level before they get switched out...

That is a AKRA box stock cam, for that spec class...
Ya I noticed it was for a racing class that required stock lift. I liked the duration and power band of the cam though. I wanted the NR280 instead but did not want to pay $100 for the cam. Will get the 140 springs.