Cleaning up the Rust on the Gas tank and front fender on my 1971 Roadster 2

I have used Rust Evader to de-rust some chrome parts with surprising results. The underlying chrome was in much better shape than it first appeared and that stuff did not harm the chrome at all.

GustoGuy

I have used Rust Evader to de-rust some chrome parts with surprising results. The underlying chrome was in much better shape than it first appeared and that stuff did not harm the chrome at all.
Is that an electrolytic rust removal system or a chemical rust remover solution? I looked it up and it showed electrolytic type thing that hooks up to a battery. Says it stops rust on cars by sending out pulses of electricity into the body of the car.

capguncowboy

Is that an electrolytic rust removal system or a chemical rust remover solution? I looked it up and it showed electrolytic type thing that hooks up to a battery. Says it stops rust on cars by sending out pulses of electricity into the body of the car.
using electrolytic method will remove chrome plating and paint. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're going to repaint or chrome afterward

GustoGuy

using electrolytic method will remove chrome plating and paint. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're going to repaint or chrome afterward
My rear rim is pretty rusty in one area of the rim were it probably sat stationary for a long time in one spot maybe even exposed to the elements and one of the bearings is frozen on the sprocket side. I may try to do that Chrome paint over gloss black which looks a bit like chrome. Evaporust worked well on my side reflectors for the headlight. They were fairly rusty on the back side and cleaned up great. The rust is very bad in on the rim in one spot. the front rim is in really good shape and should clean up well.

I have used gas tank sealer to coat the inside of the tank thus sealing the rust in but a clean surface for the gas. Pour in and slosh around and drain and let dry. Its made for airplanes but I think you might find it on line. Works very well. They say it will even fix holes if you tape over the hole first. I have one tank still doing well after almost 20 years

GustoGuy

I have used gas tank sealer to coat the inside of the tank thus sealing the rust in but a clean surface for the gas. Pour in and slosh around and drain and let dry. Its made for airplanes but I think you might find it on line. Works very well. They say it will even fix holes if you tape over the hole first. I have one tank still doing well after almost 20 years
I have used Redcoat gas tank sealer too. Smells really bad need to do it in a well ventilated environment.

Are old Rupp Trials tires worth money? My tires are cracked on the sidewalls and appear to be the original tires which came with the bike. They were made by IRC. I was going to take my rim in to a place to have the tire removed.

GustoGuy

I went to Harbor Freight tonight and used a 20% off coupon and got $5.60 off of a gallon of Evaporust. Regular price $27.99 after the 20% off $22.39. I basted that Turkey in Evaporust in a $2.89 disposable Turkey pan. It works great. I called a place that does powder coated chrome for $150.00. It is a 2 part gloss black base and chrome over the top. The person I spoke to said it is almost impossible to see the difference between real chrome and the powder coated chrome finish. I could of saved $50.00 and went with a 1 part silver but she said you can't see you reflection in it like you can the 2 part chrome. I am sanding all the pits out of the rim with 220 grit wet paper because any pits in the finish will show up after chroming and also power sanding with 220 grit in the orbital sander along the edge of the rim. Here it is soaking in Evaporust. I will stuff the gas tank full of the Evaporust tomorrow and let it soak more to get out the remaining rust. 20190523_202141_resized_1.jpg

GustoGuy

I should do a candy color which matches the bike color on the rear sprocket. It would add another $50.00 to the cost however so I will have a shiny Chrome finish on the rear Sprocket. The powder coating place says they can do a really fine mist of powder over chrome and bake it at 400 degrees and it looks just like colored chrome. She said lots of people do it to their motorcycle rims rear sprocket to give it a really distinctive look

GustoGuy

Well I took my wheel into a local motorcycle bussines which fixes bikes and they used their bearing puller to pull the bearings. Only cost me $5.00. Ironically the Evaporust loosened up the frozen bearing on the sprocket side but it is really growly. I see they are 6202 bearings and they are in a cup which is pressed into the hub. I may improvise a homemade bearing puller to pull it from the cup made out of a bolt and nut heavy duty thick washer. Do they pull easily from the cup?

The Evaporust really did a great job on cleaning up the rim. The powder coating place said you need to remove the wheel bearings since the parts are baked at 400 degrees and the bearings dust shields can melt at that temperature and it could be harder to get the bearings out if you fail to remove them before powder coating. The powder coating place says they sand blast the entire rim to put a roughened tooth on the chrome so the powder coat will adhere well. They told me it looks much like real chrome and it will pretty darn durable much more so than paint.

I will get new bearings too. I seen them on Amazon but I want to get a decent set what brand to you recommend? I see Blackwidowmotorsports has them. I was talking with th guy at the place and I told him it's from a Rupp Roadster 2. He is about my age and said they were about the best minibikes made during the 1970's. I told him I have a newer Tecumseh HS40 but I want to put a mildly modified 212cc clone on. He said those clone engines are crazy powered and he used one on a go cart for his nephew and he said compared to the old worn out 5hp Briggs which was on it he said it is now crazy fast. He agreed that the Rupp will be a little speed demon with a Honda clone on it. 20190524_165544_resized.jpg

GustoGuy

I took my front forks apart and I need to order 2 new nylon bushing inserts since they are cracked and worn. With tax and shipping $29.43. My strut boots are in great shape and I just scrubbed them up and will put them back on. I will clean up the Springer fork strut and gently sand it with 2000 grit sand paper until it is as smooth as a mirror. What kind of lubricant should you use for the front forks?

Dry works. But I can't do a spin cycle in the dryer.

Right now I have the gas tank filled with Evaporust plus a couple dozen roofing nails in the tank which I shake around every once in a while to scratch off the flakes inside. The liquid inside is pretty dark right now. Evaporust works great if you let it soak for several days.

Lol
My wife would kill me if I did a spin cycle with her nice dryer.
Evapo Rust is awesome stuff ! Once it turns black dump, and add fresh.

GustoGuy

Evapo Rust is awesome stuff ! Once it turns black dump, and add fresh.

I am amazed at how well it works and how gentle it is on paint and chrome. Evaporust only removes the rust and leaves all solid metal intact. It is really noticable on chrome with little rust spots and specks and gives it a flawless fresh chromed look and even removes the milky hazy look too and brings back the chromes shiny reflective finish. I am tempted to spray clearcoat on the chrome parts after cleaning them to keep it from rusting. A few years ago I found a fishing lure and the hooks and spinner had a little rust on them so I submerged it in Evaporust and by the next morning it looked just like new fishing lure and I still use it when I go fishing and I have caught fish with it. Unlike Navel Jelly which is a strong acid and can burn your hands and will actually bleach or cause a discoloration of the finish on the chrome or on the painted surface. Evaporust is real gentle and doesn't hurt your hands either. It takes more time to remove the rust with Evaporust but if it does less damage to the parts and to the finish so it is so worth it.

I agree I will let it take more time without the damage. When I get a chrome part that has been painted it use to drive me nuts but I have found that most of the time there was minimal rust under the paint which helped protect the chrome over the years. I have some cat rims soaking right now and have some tools, Original nuts and bolts and hitch balls. The cheapest I have found is $17.99 a gallon. F6591A0E-15BE-4BC7-A3EB-DEB362318051.jpeg

Attachments

GustoGuy

I agree I will let it take more time without the damage. When I get a chrome part that has been painted it use to drive me nuts but I have found that most of the time there was minimal rust under the paint which helped protect the chrome over the years. I have some cat rims soaking right now and have some tools, Original nuts and bolts and hitch balls. The cheapest I have found is $17.99 a gallon. View attachment 244937
I also have a Cherry brake lever from my Rupp Roadster 2 soaking in Evaporust. It is soaking in the bucket with the front rim. Were do you buy Evaporust for only $17.99 a gallon? I like to clean all the parts and get them rust free before putting the bike togather. I also heard Evaporust also makes a product that you soak your parts in after removing the rust and that it will put down a coating that will protect even bare metal from rusting for up to a year I like using a small soft fingernail brush and Dawn dishwashing soap to scrub down the parts after soaking to remove all the rust from textured surfaces like the brake levers and hubs and it really shines up the part. It really amazing how a rusty brake lever after soaking in Evaporust can almost look brand new.