Clear coat questions

What clear coat should I use to preserve a patina. And what exactly is the process. Just clean it and then spray or sand alittle first?
Not really sure. Also for old engines with decals what do I do and what can I use that won't kill the decal. As far as to Clean it and what clear to use.

Do you really feel the need to clear coat the older paint and decal(s)?...

Soap and water?... Try to avoid harsh cleaners and paint preps. Definitely do not sand the paint that you wish to clear coat. That is a no-no with a 2-stage paint process. Once the color is sprayed, the clear goes over... Sanding the color before the clear coat will show the sanding, or any other imperfections quite vividly.

Good luck with your project.

What clear coat should I use to preserve a patina. And what exactly is the process. Just clean it and then spray or sand alittle first?
Not really sure. Also for old engines with decals what do I do and what can I use that won't kill the decal. As far as to Clean it and what clear to use.
I would suggest you use the Spraymax 2k. They have a semi gloss now. It's is all I use, petroleum resistant.
2K clear coat: Spraymax

Absolutely do not use urethane, or any other "clear" paint on it. You'll create a mess, and end up having to sand it and paint it, which is what you're trying to stay away from.

Eastwood makes a spray patina preserver. It's got good reviews, but it's essentially "wax."

Try some linseed oil, thinned with acetone. Dab it on and rub it in. Do a small spot obviously, because if it's rattle can, or has been rattle canned at some distant past, the acetone will eat it. (used rags are a fire hazard)

Once applied, let the linseed mix sit on there for a day, wipe it off, then apply carnuba wax as you would anything else.