Clinton gas mixture

Thank you OldMiniBikes! I really didn't want to do any hurt to this engine, you guys helped me out a lot here. Never had a 2 cycle before. I will try to get the correct gas on my way out to torque fest (easier to get further from Chicago) this weekend and get the right oil. Thank you OldMiniBikes!

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

I don't know much about these engines, but I've got a lot of antique outboards and other 2 strokes. I always mix in extra oil to keep them safe. Better they smoke a little than blow up. And I always try to run conventional 2 stroke oil for anything made before the 80's. Some of them really don't like synthetics or blends.

SAS289

I had an interesting experience years ago after building my RM250 engine. Naïve as I was I followed the sticker on the gas tank and mixed 20/1. Bike ran but was nothing but smoke and spooge. :laugh: Pretty much blowing unburned oil out of the pipe. Remixed to 40/1 and was good to go.

im a fan of Louies....i think the question is the oil is the newer synthetic or mineral base or bean oils......we run 20/1 burris racing castor any good synthetic oil will work......old school castor can gum up the needle bearings......i have had good luck with the canned 40/1 fuel from the box stores and use it in all my 4 strokes also.......a word of advice especially the mccullouchs air leaks blow these things up fast ....these are just old engines seals go bad have them rebuild or checked....what also works is to put pre mixed gas and oil in the crankcase and let it soak overnight lubes the wrist pin bearings

Sprocket86

This is a very interesting topic and has seemed to fie up the old "oil debate" lol.

For myself I run either a 32:1 or 24:1 and jet or tune to that mixture. One item of discussion is that when you mix a richer oil/fuel ratio, the effective air/fuel ratio becomes leaner.

Personally I'd never risk a vintage or even a modern air or water cooled 2 cycle engine just to state that "I've run modern synthetic lubes @ 40:1+" with no issues. Carbon deposits, fouled plugs and lots of exhaust smoke are much easier to deal with then stuck pistons.

Firepowermini statement of having a residual pool of oil at the bottom of the crankcase during engine operation is critical for engine longevity and performance.

I got it running today!! Thankyou for all the help! It actually fired 1st pull, I have a video I will post if I can figure out how. I have a couple issues though to figure out, at first it wouldn't throttle up/ it would just bog. After adjusting it for a while I figured out it likes to run without the air cleaner. It also is throwing fuel out the fuel adjustment screw a lot, I mean a lot. I want to get it right before I put it on the chopper

I cannot figure out how to post a video direct to OldMiniBikes

[video=youtube_share;g6dY85DN358]https://youtu.be/g6dY85DN358[/video]