Clone mods question

I bought a supposed brand new "race" clone (no governor) at the swap meet a couple of weeks ago. It had a weenie pipe and muffler, an air filter and adapter and a top plate. I gave $90.00 for it. Thinking it was worth that in parts alone. I got it home and pulled the side cover. It had what appears to be a stock rod and cam. Pulled the valve cover and didn't see any color strips on the valve springs so I assume they are stock too. Pulled the tins and it had the Who Flung Doo flywheel on it. So at first I thought about putting it back stock with the governor. I posted pics on another forum and they said that it looked like a stock class or stock appearing class engine. So I started having second thoughts about reinstalling the governor. Broke down and bought a PLV, PVL (whatever it is) flywheel for it and think I am going to run it like it is on my Barstool. Couple of questions. With stock springs I know it will float the valves. What would be a good spring to run? Any thoughts on the rod? Yes I can put a billet rod in it but with the stock cam I don't think it will turn over about 5200... 5500 max. Does anyone know what a stock 196 will turn with the stock cam and a good set of springs? If someone is seeing 6000 plus then I will change the rod too. Its going on a barstool... I cant see it being full throttle, all it will do, full speed at all. I can see it wide open accelerating but not to full speed. I am to old to bounce..... and besides its just a cruiser... Please give me your opinions especially on what RPMs the stock cam will turn. I just don't see a lot of RPMs out of the stock cam. Thanks guys for the help. This is all new to me so I have to ask the dumb questions so I can learn. Doug

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

barstools are typically heavier and slower than minis. Run it like it is. If the engine suddenly loses power and backfires, ya floated the valves. I have run stock springs over 5K and no float. Here's my take...and let the haters...hate!

I took a new Predator, yanked the governor guts and low oil sensor, put in a Dyno CS-1 cam and a billet flywheel. Little motor runs well! As a responsible adult, I don't rev the guts out of it and keep fresh oil in it. No billet rod? Nope! I look at it this way. The box stock program engines run really hard at high rpm's and have little issue. The rod, only $59 ...but then ya gotta get a head gasket, bearings, etc. It will total about $80 that you're putting in a $100 motor. If I throw a rod, I take the "disposable" motor and go to the recycler ...then go over to HF and get another! There is no soul to these engines and I consider them disposable! I do use the billet flywheel because I value my precious bits!

On the hand, my Briggs motors get all the love! Billet everything! It's just cause I love them and they have some soul!

barstools are typically heavier and slower than minis. Run it like it is. If the engine suddenly loses power and backfires, ya floated the valves. I have run stock springs over 5K and no float. Here's my take...and let the haters...hate!

This is pretty much my thoughts too. If you saw mine you wouldn't want to haul a$$ on it anyway. Its a short wheelbase and a narrow track too. Doesn't need mad power or lots of RPMs. Its sitting in the corner dusty and neglected.... Dang that is a bad picture tooooo......

Last edited:
I built a barstool with a 125cc pit bike motor...very scary! Slow is the way to go on those!
No thanks.... That is why I was asking about leaving the clone as it is. If it will turn 5000 with stock springs, it wont turn that for long before they get tired and it turns a few less. We will see. Add a safe flywheel, a Honda fuel tank and ride, ride, ride... The one thing I cant find and it is here somewhere, are the nuts and the bolt to reinstall the gas tank. To big of a shop and to small of a memory... Anybody have a clutch recommendation for this combination? Thanks