Clone throttle question

JTsmks

OK, I've got a new 6.5 HF, Lifan clone and I pulled the air box off to look at how to hook up my throttle when it's mounted and I noticed that in the "idle" position the black butterfly on top of the carb is in the WOT position and when I move the throttle arm to WOT nothing really moves. At WOT the governer arm and butterfly can move back if they want to and at idle position they can be manipulated to closed but don't go there on their own. My question is simply when it's started will the butterfly valve on top of the carb close towards idle on it's own with the governer lever? I looked at the parts breakdown and I have all the right springs/linkage in the right places. My son's DB30 butterfly closes with the throttle lever which is why I question it. I'd hate to have it mounted and the damn thing take off on me when started for the first time. It may be all perfectly normal it just doesn't seem right to me.

The Gov pulls back with RPM. Just make sure to use an extra throttle return spring (stock is weak)

Its always a good idea to start a mini with the back wheel off the ground EVERY time you mess with it. :thumbsup:

JTsmks

GTO, thanks for the info but that still doesn't answer my question. On the DB#) the "throttle' on top of the car is manipulated open and closed with the hand throttle and the while running the gov bring the carb throttle towards closed. On the clone the "throttle" on top of the carb is always open irregardless of hand throttle position (haven't run yet) I can see how it could come back with rpm's through the gov but my question is with the lever arm (hand throttle) set to idle why is the top of the carb at full throttle. I guess I'm going to have to gas her up and start it on the garage floor.

den35

Once the engine is running,the governor will pull the throttle link on the carb back to idle.

I got fooled by that point too.I think it is set like that at the factory for starting purposes.

Last edited:

JTsmks

Yep,fired her up on the garage floor and that all worked fine...however...the governer is "hunting" as the throttle is applied and continues to hunt at full throttle...is this because there is no-load on the engine/shaft?

JTsmks

Thanks everyone! We got the HF engine because I was tired of "fiddleing" with the old Tecumseh that it came with. Now if the #$%*#ing TS Fay would leave I could dry out and get to painting the frame!