Clutch brake on a B&S ??

Harquebus

Could be as simple as a vertical bracket welded to the bike frame, that is situated almost right up against the sump cover, with a horizontal rod segment welded in the proper spot to contain the bottom loop/pivot of the band brake.

In other words, not mounted to the engine at all, but adjacent to it.

If you wanted to chance it, you might be able to drill and tap the sump cover but then again you would be lacking the reinforcement that the 4-bolt-hole sump cover already has.

I'd put up a want ad for just such a sump cover, or go fishing on that popular auction site.

I also have one of those engines with that single hole in it. I just did some measuring and mounting. I am sure that hole will be about the right place for an anchor point for a 3/8 bolt. I plan to make a bracket to bolt on the head so that my cable can pull the band up to actuate the brake.
Clutch would probably need to be to be mounted with sprocket outboard so the anchor bolt can be short and not stress the side cover too much.

Harquebus

By all means, consider using that large bolt and an extended stud bolt like Bird Brain said, to hold a bracket for a band brake--but it will have to be custom I think. You need at least two anchor points/screws.

I had a Briggs that had a tapped hole in that bolt/hole location just like 71demon's engine; it was on a front-tine tiller engine and even though it was a huge bolt, it was used to mount a bracket there that held the idler pulley, which in turn pivoted onto the belt to tighten it and engage the tines.

Furthermore, on more upscale tillers (snowblowers too), that hole is a bearing for an extension of the camshaft that goes through it to the outside, has a pulley mounted on it and which provides reverse power (since it spins in the opposite direction). The tapped hole and the bearing hole that goes all the way through the sump cover is directly in line with the camshaft. But I digress and babble...

I guess make sure the hole that bolt is in doesn't go all the way through. If it does you have a potential oil leak there if you don't use a thread sealant. ;)

Harquebus

In short, I am saying that there's two different Briggs sump covers with a hole there. One with a tapped (with screw threads) blind hole* and the other with a through-hole that is machined to be a bearing surface for an extended camshaft.

*Blind holes don't go all the way through.

Mine has a tapped hole. I installed a clutch and I put a band brake on it. The end of the band lines up perfectly with that threaded hole. My band has a hole for a 5/16 bolt and the hole in the side cover is 3/8. If you plan to do this, be sure to get a brake band with a 3/8 hole in the end of it. I plan to use a 3/8 bolt with a jam nut against the side cover, drill a hole through the bolt where the slot is in the brake band so I can run my cable down from the head, through the bolt , to the other end of the band. Almost too simple. Of course, that does not give me a chain guard, either.

1684860227729.png 1684860227729.png 1684860227729.png

Not my picture, since I have no picture skills, but the bolt hole in the Briggs 5 horse lines up just like this one. Screw the bolt in the side cover, use a nut to jam it so it won't turn. Drill a hole for your cable. I plan to mount mine with the clutch flipped over so the sprocket is on the outside , so the brake is closer to the side cover and the bolt can be shorter. I hope this helps. Your bolt will be at 2:00 not on top like this one.