Clutch

I usually shoot for 6:1 ratio. Seems to give the best of both worlds.
One ratio fits all? No, too many variables. Power: A ratio that works well with a 7 HP engine may not work well with a 3 HP engine, for example. Tire OD: A ratio that works well with an 11" OD tire may not work well with a 15" OD tire, for example (search "effective gear ratio"). Rider weight: A ratio that works well for an 80 lb rider may not work well for a 230 lb rider, for example. I could list more variables but those examples are enough to make my point, plus the variables can be compounded: different HP engine plus different tire OD, etc. I'd say 6:1 would be a good starting point for a small-tire bike with decent power but it wouldn't be good for everything.

If an 11T clutch is too hard to find, or overly expensive, you could go with the common 12T for a 6:1 ratio. I think that ratio would be too low when combined with your 15" OD tire but you can always change a jackshaft sprocket if need be. The less-common tooth count clutches tend to cost a lot more than the common ones, you may be able to buy a 12T clutch ($40 or less for a Max-Torque SS) and a jackshaft sprocket (probably $10-12) for less money than an 11T clutch. I prefer odd-number tooth count sprockets because they provide reduced chain and sprocket wear compared to even-number sprockets (was fairly common knowledge among motorcycle enthusiasts many years ago, requires a somewhat complicated explanation that I won't get into here) but you can't always get what you want, at least not at a reasonable price. I was looking for a 3/4", #35, 13T clutch a while back and saw some crazy prices before I found a Max-Torque SS for under $40 on eBay.

I74

If an 11T clutch is too hard to find, or overly expensive, you could go with the common 12T for a 6:1 ratio. I think that ratio would be too low when combined with your 15" OD tire but you can always change a jackshaft sprocket if need be. The less-common tooth count clutches tend to cost a lot more than the common ones, you may be able to buy a 12T clutch ($40 or less for a Max-Torque SS) and a jackshaft sprocket (probably $10-12) for less money than an 11T clutch. I prefer odd-number tooth count sprockets because they provide reduced chain and sprocket wear compared to even-number sprockets (was fairly common knowledge among motorcycle enthusiasts many years ago, requires a somewhat complicated explanation that I won't get into here) but you can't always get what you want, at least not at a reasonable price. I was looking for a 3/4", #35, 13T clutch a while back and saw some crazy prices before I found a Max-Torque SS for under $40 on eBay.
Good info Charles, as always. ;)

toomanytoys

One ratio fits all? No, too many variables. Power: A ratio that works well with a 7 HP engine may not work well with a 3 HP engine, for example. Tire OD: A ratio that works well with an 11" OD tire may not work well with a 15" OD tire, for example (search "effective gear ratio"). Rider weight: A ratio that works well for an 80 lb rider may not work well for a 230 lb rider, for example. I could list more variables but those examples are enough to make my point, plus the variables can be compounded: different HP engine plus different tire OD, etc. I'd say 6:1 would be a good starting point for a small-tire bike with decent power but it wouldn't be good for everything.
Can't argue with all that logic. Lol

6:1 is an easy starting point or close to. Adjust up or down as needed.

My rule of thumb is 5hp or under 6:1

6.5 I usually start at 5:1.

Last edited:

I74

Can't argue with all that logic. Lol

6:1 is an easy starting point or close to. Adjust up or down as needed.

My rule of thumb is 5hp or under 6:1

6.5 I usually start at 5:1.
Am 5 -1 on my slightly massaged GX-200, with a 14' tall rear tire & my 210+ lbs.,, & that sucker is quick !

I concur ''at least'' 6-1 is a good starting point ''also'',, on 4 - 5 hp engines.

Last edited:

I74

Am 5 -1 on my slightly massaged GX-200, with a 14' tall rear tire & my 210+ lbs.,, & that sucker is quick !

I concur ''at least'' 6-1 is a good starting point ''also'',, on 4 - 5 hp engines.
Added,,

Engines ''below'' 4hp, 7.5-1,, is a good starting point for those,, especially if someone over 180+lbs. is riding it.

Last edited: