Coil question ,Briggs 5HP model 130202-0135

WrenchDad

Hi guys
Currently I cant throw a spark I can feel a small current if I touch the lead while pulling but I cant get a spark to jump. I have cleaned the flywheel and bottom of the legs, I have changed the condenser ,cleaned and set the point but still nothing. I know the coil contact leg gap to the fly wheel is supposed to be set really close. And that could be my problem. However my gut feeling is the coil is bad (old and sat out in the weather) So question 1: is what should the coil gap be set at and do you set it over the magnet insert or over the fly wheel.
Question 2 :The original coil has a thin bare wire with a ring connector that goes to one of the legs and an insulated wire that goes to the condenser. most aftermarket coils for that model are either solid state or don't have the wires. Do solid state coils skip the condenser? Can I use one of those ? and if not does any one know where I can get an original?
Thanks for the help.

CarPlayLB

Use a magnetron coil and dump the points! I gap at .030 and don't run points in any of my engines. All kinds of fire! I may have an extra one(or six) if you need one! 130202 is a very common engine and the flywheel will work with the point-less coils.

Harquebus

Aww, but upgrading to that 'newfangled' electronic ignition's no fun. You won't have to remove the starter clutch and flywheel for a tuneup anymore.
:stuart:

Supposedly, when you add the points-less Magnetron, the condenser and points are bypassed but can remain in situ.

Use a magnetron coil and dump the points! I gap at .030 and don't run points in any of my engines. All kinds of fire! I may have an extra one(or six) if you need one! 130202 is a very common engine and the flywheel will work with the point-less coils.
100% good advice right here. Also, you can leave the points in and not have to plug the plunger hole, but I remove them and apply a dab of JB to seal it from oil spray. You'll have two wires with the solid state unit. They're both ground (kill switch) wires.

buckeye

I use one of Karens or Eric's business cards to set the flywheel gap.
Perfect every time.
Now, I wouldn't use just anyone's business card mind ya.:laugh:

WrenchDad

I tried the buissnes card and got the same result, a very weak current. I'll have to get a coil.

CarPlayLB If your willing to give up one of your spares please PM me the details.

Thanks
W/D

Guys you can also bolt on a predator 212 coil and it will run its ass off . My Briggs flatty runs a 69730 predator coil and it works very well . Everything lines up simple bolt on , and my motor will turn 8 k with it no problem .

WrenchDad

A new magnetron coil arrived today, I put it on (I ended up gapping at .020) and it works great. I would like to publicly thank the OldMiniBikes member who donated the coil to me (including shipping). I wasn't expecting that and am very grateful of their generosity .
Thanks again to all who replied to the post , your input was very helpful.

WrenchDad

Well, if you are "publicly" thanking the OldMiniBikes member you would need to identify them for all to see, unless they specifically requested to remain anonymous. Yet another great example of members helping other members!
Michael