Coleman CT100U Rear Sprocket Ground Clearance Issues!

Hi Gang. First post here.

I hope you guys can help me out with this. I got a really great deal on two Coleman CT100U's which I bought for my kiddos through Walmart.com. The bikes arrived banged up and missing some parts, but that's a story for another time. I was able to get one running by swapping some parts from the other mini bike so at least my kids would have one mini bike that they could share this summer, until Coleman sends me the replacement parts for the other mini bike. Well...while riding the minibike..."to test it out first" (wink) I noticed that the rear sprocket and chain is coming in contact with the ground when corning to the left (the side the sprocket is on). At first I thought the issue might be the kickstand, but after the chain came off a couple times, I came to realize the issue seems to be one of ground clearance. Anybody else have this issue? What have you done to resolve the problem? The obvious answer is, don't corner so fast/lean so hard/far, but I'm hoping you may have some other input. I've inflated the tires to max PSI and that helped ever so slightly, but other than changing the rear sprocket out for something smaller, I really don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:

SAS289

It would be nice if you can go with a smaller sprocket in the back AND a smaller sprocket on the clutch to try to maintain something close to the stock gearing. Smaller on the rear only and you lose whatever bottom it came with and the kids would have a higher top speed.

Before the experts chime in, I only see two options: a larger diameter tire (15x5-6 is the only reasonable size I can think of, offhand), or a smaller sprocket (which probably would necessitate a larger/more powerful engine, or a TAV, or a jackshaft, or a combination thereof).

Before the experts chime in, I only see two options: a larger diameter tire (15x5-6 is the only reasonable size I can think of, offhand), or a smaller sprocket (which probably would necessitate a larger/more powerful engine, or a TAV, or a jackshaft, or a combination thereof).
I thinks you mean 15x6-6 yes :smile: i had that sprocket hitting ground on left turns trouble on mmb80 w it's 75t so i changed to db30 70t i had, now ok ..i weigh 185lbs..othrwise what FOMOGO said..air tire..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I thinks you mean 15x6-6 yes :smile: i had that sprocket hitting ground on left turns trouble on mmb80 w it's 75t so i changed to db30 70t i had, now ok ..i weigh 185lbs..othrwise what FOMOGO said..air tire..:thumbsup:
No, I meant 15x5-6; from what I've read, 15x6-6 may cause caliper and/or chain clearance problems (depending on the particular tire) on some minibikes, so I didn't mention that size. Carlisle's Snow Hog and Xtrac are available in 15x5-6 and I imagine there are other choices. OP said he inflated tire to max pressure.

No, I meant 15x5-6; from what I've read, 15x6-6 may cause caliper and/or chain clearance problems (depending on the particular tire) on some minibikes, so I didn't mention that size. Carlisle's Snow Hog and Xtrac are available in 15x5-6 and I imagine there are other choices. OP said he inflated tire to max pressure.
oh ..ok..i got 15x6-6 turf on mine..it's ok..

olddog

I have one of these, I'm 230, but I just use it for putt'n around...I do lean it every now and again and haven't had an issue.