Coleman CT200U 5/8" shaft TAV install

I used the original Coleman steel bearing plate.....not the chinese aluminum copy. Didn't have to raise the engine for this conversion.

I just bent the frame up towards the fender and rewelded it. Reformed the chainguard and reattached it. looks nice.

I have a ton of photos to help others accomplish this cool modification. The way the CT200U should have been built. I replaced the 10 tooth drive gear with an eight tooth...made a huge difference in performance.

Last edited:

SAS289

"I replaced the 10 tooth drive gear with an eight tooth...made a huge difference in performance." :thumbsup:

The thing I would like to know is what your top speed is and the RPM at top speed with this gearing? This will help me with the decision on what to do with my engine before I put everything together. Why build a high RPM engine when the TAV gearing only allows less than governed RPM's at top speed? No need to even remove the governor. Changes to the throttle linkage would also be eliminated.

That mod to the original jackshaft plate was attempted by a member of the Coleman group. I think he may have given up due to alignment issues and ended up buying a new TAV.

Last edited: