Coleman CT200u ex Pull start

I recently purchased a ct200u ex used and modified it a little bit- stage 1 kit, new spark plug, new gas and oil, lubed up some parts, 18lb valve springs, new carb and carb jet. Athough recently i have not been able to start it up- the pull start will allow itself to be pulled a slight bit but then about halfway or a third of the way thru the pull, the pull start siezes up and wont move. I removed the spark plug and tried to pull the pull start and i worked smoothly- it didnt sieze up. I am inclined to believe it is an issue with the internals of the engine but im not sure exactly what. if anyone has some advice or ideas please tell me.

also a few days ago i was able to get the engine running and the idle was very choppy almost like the timing was off or something because i know i fixed the idle and have that set to the correct rpm. so if anyone knows how to fix that some advice would be very much appreciated

Last edited:
yes and it is very critical when setting the exhaust valve lash or you will wind up setting when the decompressor is still engage. If that’s what you did then you basically defeated the compression release. You have to set piston at TDC of compression stroke plus a few more degrees to be safe.

ok i set the valves to the appropriate size and the issue still persists, i also pulled the pull start a few times with the spark plug out(to see if maybe the engine was flooded) and the piston ran smoothly and the flywheel structure didnt get caught and jolt to a stop but then when i put the spark plug on, the pull start would only go a certain length-maybe a third of the required length to start the engine, but then it jolted and came to an abrupt stop.

can you remove the spark plug and valvecover. Then put your finger in the spark plug hole pull the starter till you feel compression. Remove finger put a rod or philips head screwdriver in spark plug hole and very slowly rotate engine till screwdriver stops coming out and just starts going down then stop. at this point use a feeler gauge and tell me exhaust clearance. Do not adjust anything.

ok i set the valves to the appropriate size and the issue still persists, i also pulled the pull start a few times with the spark plug out(to see if maybe the engine was flooded) and the piston ran smoothly and the flywheel structure didnt get caught and jolt to a stop but then when i put the spark plug on, the pull start would only go a certain length-maybe a third of the required length to start the engine, but then it jolted and came to an abrupt stop.
Not sure what you mean in this post. Valve size is not adjustable.

I just received a brand new coleman ct200u ex and I rode it about 5 times. I went to start it and the pull cord wouldnt retracted so I took off the retract coil and found that one of the metal tabs that engages the starter broke off. I ordered a new recoil pull cord and put it on and it still wont start. I have gas, oil and the spark plug is basically brand new. I'm new to small engines but I can't figure out what is going wrong. Please help im having mini bike withdrawals

Hey @Murph83 ...welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum.

I don't mean to hijack the the original posters thread, just trying to offer some help.

I'm not familiar with the Coleman mini bikes, but for starters, some basic stuff.

Make sure any kill switches are in run mode so to speak. Both on the bike and or on the engine.

Then make sure your fuel line feed is enabled, and not turned off.

If none of the above, then try a new sparkplug, and confirm you are getting spark.

If no spark, the experts will chime in to advise.

If spark, and still no start, try a shot of starting fluid through the air cleaner port. If it pops on starting fluid then either carb is needing cleaned, or it's fuel starved for some other reason.

Try these and let us know, by then, others with more knowledge than me will have time to see and respond.

Also, let us know engine type and size...I'm thinking 212 predator ?

Hey @Murph83 ...welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum.

I don't mean to hijack the the original posters thread, just trying to offer some help.

I'm not familiar with the Coleman mini bikes, but for starters, some basic stuff.

Make sure any kill switches are in run mode so to speak. Both on the bike and or on the engine.

Then make sure your fuel line feed is enabled, and not turned off.

If none of the above, then try a new sparkplug, and confirm you are getting spark.

If no spark, the experts will chime in to advise.

If spark, and still no start, try a shot of starting fluid through the air cleaner port. If it pops on starting fluid then either carb is needing cleaned, or it's fuel starved for some other reason.

Try these and let us know, by then, others with more knowledge than me will have time to see and respond.

Also, let us know engine type and size...I'm thinking 212 predator ?
Yes i tried all the basic stuff and I checked I am getting spark but I'll try starter fluid to see if carb needs cleaning. Also sorry didnt mean to hijack original post either. Call me a newbie

Ok so I tried the starter fluid and still nothing. I have spark. I have fuel. I disconnected the ground for the kill switch and still nothing!!! Very frustrating. I guess i need to drain fuel, change oil and clean carb and hope for the best. Anything else that I should try?

mustangfrank

Ok so I tried the starter fluid and still nothing. I have spark. I have fuel. I disconnected the ground for the kill switch and still nothing!!! Very frustrating. I guess i need to drain fuel, change oil and clean carb and hope for the best. Anything else that I should try?
You say you have spark...where at and how are you testing? If you're checking at the spark plug boot terminal and the engine won't fire on ether it sounds like a fouled or broken spark plug.

I am having a similar issue to this one with my Coleman CT200u-ex. To check spark, I pull the spark plug, touch it to the cylinder head and the pull the starter. I get spark when the plug is against the rocker cover or throttle linkage, but not the cylinder head.