Comet 90d Disassemble/Re-assemble

Chris. After reading the Comet pages, it seems rather straightforward. The tooling will take some effort to assemble. The steel bushing, 1 1/4”x 3/8”x 1/8” thru hole and maybe the custom washer to fit the re-assembly are easily made on a lathe. The steel rod, all-thread, nuts to suit are fairly easy to source. The 1/4” dowel pin, drill rod, or the unused shank of a twist drill are again, fairly easy to get.
You just need a well cared for gear puller and a phone to take lots of pictures.
Maybe find someone near you on the smokstak forum, some of those folks are well-tooled, retired, and have the time.
Just a thought. Every water hazard like this is just another opportunity to learn.
steve

Has anyone done a Comet 90d Disassemble/Re-assemble? I have the Comet 90d procedures just have not tried it yet. It would seem somewhat difficult to align the cam and the fixed face post in order to be able to install the set screw and have everything perfectly aligned. Any guidance or tips would be great.

Thanks

https://www.everythingcarts.com/images/media/p-845-CP-0003.pdf
In addition, if you find the two bushings/ steel washers unobtanium, I can warm the machinery up once the trout fishing slows a bit.

chrisr

I was overpowering my 40 series driven on my motorcycle that I built with my VC 460 so I installed the 94c/90d today and did a test run on the ATV floor jack. I did a few pulls up to 3600 and all seemed good and once the driver stuck open briefly. I did some 4500 pulls and the driver stayed open on one of the pulls when I left off the throttle. I am using the recommended 1 1/4 inch belt and I have the 1 inch of slack in the belt and idling it doesn't try to push the bike.

I took apart the driver and not seeing anything that stands out being wrong. Anyone have this issue before?

Attachments