Comet TC88 Help

Hello all. I have what I believe to be a Comet TC88 torque converter set-up on my K&S Hornet. I am currently restoring this minibike and would like it to get it running as good as possible. The hub on the crankshaft was very hard to pull off and I had to try several different methods before getting it off. It finally took a splitter in between the hub and brass ring with a 2 jaw puller to get the thing off. Prior to that, I tried to clamp the back plate and ended up slightly warping it. My question is, "since it is slightly warped, and I do mean slightly, is it toast? If it is toast, what are my options, will a Comet 20 back plate work?
Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new Comet 20?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks for any help!

another question: The outer half of the driven gear (pulley?) is loose. The rivets seem loose. You can definitely feel some play in it. Is it supposed to be loose like that?

thanks

6" driven gear loose

Loose rivets? I don't think so.
The factory head of the rivet seems tight. However, you can move the piece I am touching in this picture. It feels like there is maybe an 1/8 inch of play, back and forth. I think it may be designed this way but thought someone on here would know if it is. The bely takes the play out when it is in the track.

Nice paint!

I would disassemble the driven clutch and restake those rivets. That plate should not have play.

Then watch it. If it loosens up again, time for a new one.

So I tightened up the driven pulley rivets. There is still a serious vibration right off of idle, going both ways (accelerating and decelerating). I'm thinking it may be coming from the drive unit???

I have a new belt on order and will see if it makes a difference. It currently has the original 40 year old belt on it:laugh:

Is the driver on flat? If you take the bolt out you will notice that there are square edges on that round hole. It has to sit flush or it has a wobble to it.

Bad hub?

I want to confirm that this hub is history. I think Mr gumpit is correct in that the outer drive pulley is probably moving on the hub which is causing the vibration,

Look at the key (on face) on this hub and tell me that it's not suppose to be like that.

Will a modern comet 20 hub work with the TC88?

Last edited: