Cordless tool batteries help

I am looking for help with Dewalt batteries for my 18-volt tools. Most of my batteries still work but have a severely limited run time. And some have just bit the dust. I have a bunch of Dewalt cordless tools that I use but short run times are frustrating. While looking online for batteries it seems the smartest thing to do might be to convert to the new 20-volt batteries. The replacement18-volt Dewalt batteries are even pricier than the 20-volts. That means not only buying batteries but also buying new chargers. Would still be cheaper than starting from scratch and then having a bunch of unusable tools left over.

For those that know what I have recently been through with my health I am still fighting with it. I have an awful time with memory, memory loss with gaps in time and retaining new information. I have lost a lot of the time I spent in school just a few short years ago. If I ask what seems to be a dumb question, it's an honest dumb question. Sometimes I feel like I am starting over. I just need a little guidance which will be very much appreciated.

Questions I have

I see that they offer 2, 4, 5 and 6 amp hour batteries. What would be the most logical choice? My tools are mostly the XRP version. I know that amp hours will increase run time. At least I think that I know that.

What is the optimum charging routine? In the past I had 4 chargers plugged in 24-7 and batteries always in them. I have read conflicting reports that this is not a good habit.

Anyone know of a good source for batteries other than the usual Homers Depot, Lowes or Amazon? Need to save all the dollars I can these days.

I am sure there are more but that's all for now.

Thanks for the help,

Doug

Curious if your charger can provide the higher voltage - amperage requirements for those newer, higher-capacity battery packs?

I replaced the individual batteries in my Milwaukee packs, for the old-style packs were no longer available. It was a laborious task, disassembling and soldering 1.2-volt cells, but rewarding to keep the tool operational.

I once purchased cheap replacement battery packs and they were junk and didn't last... Quality costs more.

I am looking for help with Dewalt batteries for my 18-volt tools. Most of my batteries still work but have a severely limited run time. And some have just bit the dust. I have a bunch of Dewalt cordless tools that I use but short run times are frustrating. While looking online for batteries it seems the smartest thing to do might be to convert to the new 20-volt batteries. The replacement18-volt Dewalt batteries are even pricier than the 20-volts. That means not only buying batteries but also buying new chargers. Would still be cheaper than starting from scratch and then having a bunch of unusable tools left over.

For those that know what I have recently been through with my health I am still fighting with it. I have an awful time with memory, memory loss with gaps in time and retaining new information. I have lost a lot of the time I spent in school just a few short years ago. If I ask what seems to be a dumb question, it's an honest dumb question. Sometimes I feel like I am starting over. I just need a little guidance which will be very much appreciated.

Questions I have

I see that they offer 2, 4, 5 and 6 amp hour batteries. What would be the most logical choice? My tools are mostly the XRP version. I know that amp hours will increase run time. At least I think that I know that.

What is the optimum charging routine? In the past I had 4 chargers plugged in 24-7 and batteries always in them. I have read conflicting reports that this is not a good habit.

Anyone know of a good source for batteries other than the usual Homers Depot, Lowes or Amazon? Need to save all the dollars I can these days.

I am sure there are more but that's all for now.

Thanks for the help,

Doug
Doug, I ran into the same exact issue. I replaced one 18V battery and it hurt. What I did was buy the adapter to fit the newer batteries to my tools. The new batteries are cheaper, and last way longer than the old style. I also ended up having to replace my 18v sawzall due to submerging it trying to save an old well casing (dont ask, lol) so when I did I caught a sale at HD that gave me the tool for free if I bought their kit with the dual fast charger and 2 4 amp hour batteries for $199. I had also bought a refurb 20v grease gun that came with 2 of the 2 amp hour batteries and charger. It ended up just working out for me. I dont even use the old style batteries anymore.

Stick to the , and 4 Amp/hour batteries for general use, as the 6 amp/hour battery I also have doesnt fit the adapter and a couple of the tools I have. There is a quick mod you can do to fix that, but I can't see carving on a new battery pack. It's also very heavy.

I also shop around between Ebay and Amazon, etc for genuine Dewalt reurb tools..