Correct Oil and Refresh for Tecumseh HS40-55388C

Just got a used Tecumseh HS40-55388C with Lighting for a Rupp Roadster restoration and have a few basic questions.

• What oil did Rupp say to use in this engine?
  • What oil should I use in it in the Northeast in warmer weather; say 50-95 degrees?
  • With no gas tank ready for it yet is there a way I can test it to see if it runs?

If I can get it started, I plan to do the following to freshen it up. What do you think?
Replace:
  • Plug
  • Coil
  • Piston Rings
  • Breather
  • Head Gasket
  • Head Bolts
  • Flywheel Washer and Nut
  • Rebuild Carb
  • New Gaskets on Intake/Carb

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

markus

add crank seals to the list of seals/gaskets (you will need at least the sidecover one no matter what as it needs to be pulled off to access the c clip that holds the bearing to the crankshaft to get the sidecover off). theres also a gasket on the dipstick that does not come in basic kits, its nice to have a fresh one of those, not so bad on a Rupp since the engine is angled but seeping oil from there is very annoying.

SAE 30 oil is the standard on these small engines.

If you have any type of small engine fuel tank just, mount it to something higher than the engine and run a hose with shut off in the line to the carb. I just use a Tecumseh tank off an engine and clamp it to a table next to my test stand or something like that :thumbsup: can even rig up a soda bottle with some fittings in a pinch, very important to have a quick and easy way to kill the engine too!!! somethng as simple as a zip tie on the plug wire so you can yank it if it starts to run away or something goes awry while testing....or your shopping list may get longer :wink: