Couple of questions please...

I have 2 Powell Challengers, serial #4320-D and 4316-D. Wondering if someone can tell me the year of manufacture. AND more importantly, I am in the process of restoring... Gas tanks are a mess with rust inside. B&S 5hp motors, anyone have a special trick to remove the rust? I have tried a number of techniques... just looking for a better way than tumbling gravel, or nuts & bolts. Both seem to be working but....

Thanks,
Craig

buckeye

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
Those are some nice bikes to restore.
There are many examples of restorations of these fine machines on the forum.
I am sure you have looked around. Try the search function.
There are some unbelievable builds.
The rust from the tank, sounds like you do what a lot of folks do.
Only difference, maybe wrapping it in a town or blanket and throw it in the dryer on cool.
Make sure your wife is not home.:laugh:
Good luck.
Pictures?

I've read about rust removal via a tub of water (?), electricity and a sacrifical piece of metal.
Took 24 hours or so but looked very effective.
Do a search here or on YouTube.

Craig,
Based on your numbers and the numbers and dates listed here both of your Powells would have been 1969 productions, somewhere after June of that year.

As far as tanks, I have a tried and true method of 1:4 muratic acid to water in a large plastic bucket. I have used it for years. The last Briggs tank I did was a week ago. Soak for a few hours, drain, soak, so you don't poke holes in it with the acid. If the scale is massive, I use the screws and shake it between acid dips.

You can also level the tank in a vice and pour in some caustic or acid solution such as vinegar, but it takes for ever. Downside of acid dipping is that it will quickly flash a surface rust. The faster you dry it, the better off you are. After that, coat it with Caswells. Do not use Creem and the like. This is not a preference, this is experience of having to tear down a freshly painted tank because the coating had failed.

Here's a link to the E Model I restored last year.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/vbrides.php?do=viewride&rideid=6

Thanks for the insight guys. I'll keep at it. Tried the dryer trick... but it sounded like I was going to have to fix the dyer if I let it go much longer. Here's a few pix of my progress.

Jamie1972

Alright....I must admit.....That is a very nice! and a very cool looking bike!!
(We could use some of them over here on the East Coast) :rolleyes:

Hey ya'll... Been a while since I posted. Got side tracked on my 2 Powell rebuild... Off that subject. I have a friend looking for a restored Taco 44. If anyone has one "for sale" please let me know.

Thanks,
Craig