Craftsman/Tecumseh Side-Popper Questions

I have had this engine in my shed for years and now I have decided to use it on a project but I have some questions. I did a search of this site and a Google search and cannot find my particular engine number cross-referenced. The number is 143 7440232. I know that the 143 is the Tecumseh designation but I cant find my particular engine , even at sears parts direct. I need to order a carb rebuild kit, head gasket, points, condenser, intake and exhaust gaskets.

My other question is regarding the carburetor. This engine will go on an Alexander Reynolds (pictures to follow at a later date) The engine will be on an angle. I do not have an angled intake manifold but, due to the fact that this is a diaphragm carb, I believe that it will still operate normally even if it is mounted on an angle, is this correct?

Last edited:
I think you have an extra digit.. The number I see stamped in your shroud is 143 744032, which come up valid in a parts search..

-Marc

Yes.. actually the bowl carburetors will run just fine on the tilt too.. as long as the float works rite and the bowl gasket is sealed good, they are fine..

I think Motobunny has a sears book that will cross reference to a Tecumseh number..

As long as you get the engine parts for an H-20 - H-35, the head gasket, points, all that stuff will interchange...

There are different diaphragm carbs.. some have two adjustment screws, some have one.. Like if you buy a rebuild fora modern snow flipper 2 stroke, it may not have both screws and O-rings for the screws, but the diaphragm and needle should all be the same..

I could go out and find you a number that will work if you'd like.. I think i have an H30 with diphragm carb and tec numbers on it..