CT200U-EX with Wildcat 223

LIVIT

After multiple posts and messages with some very in the know members here (Tks Guys) It was determined , after putting a CVT on my 196 with stage one upgrades and 18lb springs. That the engine was just plainly a dog from the factory, the valve lash was way off and did damage.

I did a lot of research and talking with members here and spoke with a couple of great techs at EC Carbs. Today I ordered the Hellcat 223, the version that I can still run my lights with and charge a battery if I want too. From the videos I watched and information I was told and learned, the utility level of use that I was wanting for my 200, this engine in it's stock form, may be plenty. I do have the Stage 1 items to add if I want.

I will post my results on this upgrade here. So others can follow, what to do easily. Anyone with any experience with the Wildcat 223, please tell us. As always y'all, tks for all the help, you guys have truly helped me a lot ! I will be building 2 Trailmasters and a full suspension kart soon.

LIVIT

Got the 223 Wildcat today. First impression: It's for sure a bit heavier than my 196. Very obvious a more solid construction. Gas tank off the 196 with side fill cap, was an easy swap. 223 has a center fill cap, heavier tank but not going to deal with it.
I'm using a riser plate and with wanting my engine centered, the stock exhaust would not fit. I took the stage 1 header and muffler off my 196 and it swapped over perfectly. I will be changing that, the 223 has a oval exhaust port and the header a D exhaust flange. I figured since I had done the exhaust change, I went ahead and used my Stage 1 carb and filter. Again exact swap. I also changed out the coil, the coil on the 223 has a rev limiter. I did adjust the governor spring, but did not eliminate it ! Got it wired and gassed up. It started on the first pull. Sounds really good. Have a few more adjustments to do. Tomorrow I will get the CVT mounted and will get pics posted then.

LIVIT

Did first test runs today. Still breaking in. All I can say is Wow ! What a difference. Have to be gentle with throttle, it will stand up. Have not given (WOT) yet ! But it's fast already, compared to how it was with the 196 and stage 1 and CVT. I'm running a 10 tooth drive with the stock 50 tooth. Using the stage 1 header/muffler and the breather adaptor. I did not change the needle in carb. I wanted a utility bike, for sure got that now and more.
You can run the stock exhaust on the riser, but it's all the way forward and all the exhaust is hitting your leg, gets hot fast. Did not want my 200 this loud, so if any can suggest a quieter muffler for my header please. The CVT I got off Amazon. I like it so far. The carb on the 223 is for sure nicer, no prob changing jets, if wanted and it has a idle adjustment. The throttle stop screw even works.
Over all I'm impressed ! The tech (Mark) at EC was great, Customer Service/Sales are nice to deal with. I for sure really like this Wildcat 223. I'm looking forward to buying another one, too build for my more racing level bike.

Attachments

LIVIT

That way nice to know Thank you for sharing... Picked up a cpl of those this year now I/we know what perks them up! Way nice lookin cruiser LIVIT:scooter:
Tks Mark, glad to actually be able to help someone on here finally. Seems I been the one getting all the help ! Only other things I'm planning on it are. Luggage rack, wider handle bars with center bar. Tach, hour and temp meter. After first of the year, when my Guide business slows down. I'm planning on pulling out my airbrushes and going to work on some custom camo.

lol that's great! We all help each other where we can.
That is why I became a "Supporting Member" it helps keep this "Treasure Trove" of info alive for all to benefit. Not to mention purchasing from the founder at the top of the page @Hent.com

Life priorities don't allow time for me to play so much, my time will come that I can contribute in the mean time I help where I can and that's not much Sir. So I collect a few parts here and there, an occasional minibike, on the lookout for Go-karts too when the stars align for me to have one or two or??? Just don't tell the Girlyfriend what I'm upto! :oops:

LIVIT

Mark, I'm very lucky. My GF loves it too and I will be building her a Trail master in the near future. She was the one who encouraged me to buy the Wildcat. She said stop messing around with a bad engine and get something you want! She wants a full suspension offroad Kart too.
I was planning on becoming a supporting member. Have to look into doing that soon. I will purchase from him soon also. You sure got that right brother "Treasure Trove" Then add the members who I have been messaging with and those contributing to my posts and helping there too. Truly a time to use the word "Awesome" Dale

2old2care

Thanks for the updates - It really helps to see someone else's experience with this motor !
BTW - The standard "hot dog" screw on muffler would probably quieter than that one. It's what I have on my bike, and I think it just sounds like a lawn mower :~)

toomanytoys

Thanks for the updates - It really helps to see someone else's experience with this motor !
BTW - The standard "hot dog" screw on muffler would probably quieter than that one. It's what I have on my bike, and I think it just sounds like a lawn mower :~)
it definitely is a lot quieter with the hot dog vs that slip on “silencer”.

I welded a pipe coupler to my header to use the hot dog.

LIVIT

it definitely is a lot quieter with the hot dog vs that slip on “silencer”.

I welded a pipe coupler to my header to use the hot dog.
With a hot dog, how much power loss ? I see it needing more support too, correct ?

SAS289

If there is any power loss, it shouldn't be noticeable. To know for sure it would take a dyno, or stopwatch and top speed runs with GPS.

A guy on youtube tested a stock muffler versus a staged header pipe with no muffler. Gains were noticed at high RPM (top speed) while there wasn't much of a difference on the low end. (0-30 MPH)

I think those long pipes should be supported but I'm sure there are plenty of guys who run that pipe without it.

Lizardking

Look into beefing up the neck and down tubes area. From what I've seen, these models tend to bend/break in that area. Some members here have done it and hopefully chime in with what they did to remedy that.

LIVIT

I didn’t notice any

my header isn’t that long. I didn’t add any support. You could probably use a support now. That’s a long header.
Tks guys ! I was actually thinking of cutting the header pipe shorter, adding a support, after I decide what muffler to use. I was also considering replacing the header pipe. My current pipe flange has a D shape opening. The exhaust port on the Wildcat is more oval and very directionally slanted. EC does have a header pipe made for the Wildcat, will have to find out measurements to see if it will fit under my seat and frame, as it's designed to exhaust toward the rear wheel. I think it's more of a go kart header pipe.

I'm not concerned about top end mph loss at all. Want too keep my low end torque, not annoy my one neighbor and also not scare away every deer in the area. I could always change back too the one I'm running now, when I want to go trail ripping.

LIVIT

I did a short WOT top speed run. It's fast guys and it got there quickly. Need to download a speed app for my phone, any suggestions? Would like one that stores top speed etc.. IMHO anyone who wants to upgrade the performance of their 200 without having to do a lot of engine mods, would be better off, buying a Wildcat 223, CVT, Riser plate and stage 1 kit. I have ridden a 200 with a stage 2 196 and my buddy has a Baja with a 212 stage 2. Both have TAV's. My almost stock 223 has more off the line torque than both of them. It would win in a short drag race no doubts.

I'm not here to bad mouth any other engines. I have not had the chance to try a Tillitson 225 or the Predator 224. But if you compare the specs like I did, the Wildcat 223 looks better on paper. The 223 is for sure very well built, it does have a stronger built housing than the 196 or 212. When you compare the costs of building a 196/212 too the cost of a 223 with stage 1, the 223 comes out being less monies spent. Again tks for all the help and suggestions !

LIVIT

Did a speed test. In a short distance run, it hit 42 mph and it still had plenty to go, governor had not even kicked in yet. Trying to do a even close to half throttle from a dead stop start, it will do a high wheelie. Once I get more comfortable with it and feel the engine is done breaking in. I will do some WOT speed to governor kick in and distance time tests. I also did some very muddy trail riding. I never felt any lack of power pulling me thru the mud, I weigh around 225lbs.

LIVIT

Rode the 200 too a dirt road by me that's around 4 miles long or so. Lots of nice straights and fairly smooth. Cruised a long at 40mph and opened it up too 45mph. Engine was not even working hard yet. I did open it up for a short distance and seen 49mph, governor still had not kicked in. Being on the stock tires, I felt that was fast enough for me ! Do see the need for a bit taller and wider bars with cross bar and for sure better grips. If I was planning on doing a lot of riding at speeds higher than 35mph, I would for sure want better tires too.