CT200u Honda Clone - Running Rich? Governor surge.

I have some questions I am hoping to get advise on. I did some searching and didn't find anything useful.

I just bought a Coleman CT200u. It was used so little the front tire still has the rubber hairs on it. It is a two years old and I am the third owner. The first owner never put oil or gas in it, so I don't know if that really even counts. The second owner used it a few times, winterized it, and hasn't touched ridden it since. Except to get it ready to sell.

It starts on the first pull under choke and runs fine. It drives nice with a decent amount of power.

The first problem is that I think it may be running rich. There is black soot from exhaust on fender by the muffler and after you ride it for even a short period of time you smell badly like gasoline. What can I do about this?

Also, I backed out the throttle limit screw which allows me to ride it to the point that it engages the governor. When it hits the governor it is a pretty drastic loss of power for a "Mississippi or two" and then it comes back to life until its hit the governor again. This surging makes it less fun to ride. What can I do about this?

Sooner79

I have some questions I am hoping to get advise on. I did some searching and didn't find anything useful.

I just bought a Coleman CT200u. It was used so little the front tire still has the rubber hairs on it. It is a two years old and I am the third owner. The first owner never put oil or gas in it, so I don't know if that really even counts. The second owner used it a few times, winterized it, and hasn't touched ridden it since. Except to get it ready to sell.

It starts on the first pull under choke and runs fine. It drives nice with a decent amount of power.

The first problem is that I think it may be running rich. There is black soot from exhaust on fender by the muffler and after you ride it for even a short period of time you smell badly like gasoline. What can I do about this?

Also, I backed out the throttle limit screw which allows me to ride it to the point that it engages the governor. When it hits the governor it is a pretty drastic loss of power for a "Mississippi or two" and then it comes back to life until its hit the governor again. This surging makes it less fun to ride. What can I do about this?
Unless Coleman used a different carburetor two years ago, the ones they come with get destroyed when you remove the factory jet. You can buy a whole new carburetor on Amazon for $10 - $15. Replace the whole carb and it’ll probably fix your problem. If not, the replacement will allow you to change out the jet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Z6XB2J/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A37LV66SQIHLLD&psc=1

Last edited:

Lizardking

I bought the same model coleman(hairs on tire too) that also had very little use a couple of weeks ago. Mine wasn't winterized when stored by previous owner but turned on in 1 or 2 pulls. It idled bad tho so the first thing I did was take the carburetor apart and cleaned out jet holes with small wire. Turns on first pull and idles great. Deleting the governor will solve the surging, speed limit feel but will prematurely destroy your engine without upgrading internals. Imo
Check the clutch bolt and put some blue loctite because they come loose and fly out the plastic cover.

Last edited:

SAS289

You said you backed out the throttle screw. Did you experience the surging before you backed out the screw? You should have. The governor will function at any position of that screw.

The Colemans are designed for slow speed trail riding. In those conditions you may never notice governor functionality. But running on the road holding full throttle you will notice the governor reacting to changes in the load. That's what it is supposed to do.

An update:

I took the air filter off while cleaning the carb. I put it all back together, sans the air filter, and ran it while it was up on my floor jacks and it didn't surge when hitting the governor. It was more of a clean engagement of the governor, not so drastic.

I was encouraged that maybe the carb was a little dirty even though it didn't seem that way, so I put the air filter back on and tried it again and it went back to the old behavior.

So maybe I need to replace the air filter? Does that make sense?

SAS289

With the bike up on floor jacks you didn't get surging without the air filter but got surging with the air filter and the bike still on stands? The governor behavior will be much better with the back tire off the ground because the load does not change once up to full speed.

Run the bike at idle with and without the air filter. If the RPM change between the two is noticeable you need to replace the air filter.

Lizardking

An update:

I took the air filter off while cleaning the carb. I put it all back together, sans the air filter, and ran it while it was up on my floor jacks and it didn't surge when hitting the governor. It was more of a clean engagement of the governor, not so drastic.

I was encouraged that maybe the carb was a little dirty even though it didn't seem that way, so I put the air filter back on and tried it again and it went back to the old behavior.

So maybe I need to replace the air filter? Does that make sense?
What it's doing is normal. It will accelerate and take off great but then governor kicks in and says where do you think you're going and flat lines. If it feels like tugging as it accelerates then it wants more air or fuel. Since you're getting black smoke it's too much fuel. If the filter is soaked with water or oil then the filter might be the problem. Drive it without filter to find out. Without load it will accelerate with easy but once under load it's a different story. Carburetor should be taken apart and cleaned from the inside not just the outside if it sat for a long time. Re-read all info everyone is giving you.

Last edited: