Ct200u low power/no torque

I got my ct200u about 3 months ago, everything was running good and a couple days ago it just stopped accelerating, i took the governor out about a month ago and never revved it to crazy limits. I took off the side cover, checked valves. It has compression (around 90psi), spark is good, carb is good( ive swapped it with a good working one). It has no torque when i sit on it but it revs fast with the back tire off the ground. I'm pretty stuck at this point and no clue what could be wrong.

FatBuddyCat

Is it slow rolling up to speed then goes faster top end when you ride it? This can be as simple as a clutch issue or funky carburetor. If the governor is completely removed and you put a governorless throttle those are your culprits. You said it revs, has compression and its definitely not the valves so what your dealing with is load related.

FatBuddyCat

Is it slow rolling up to speed then goes faster top end when you ride it? This can be as simple as a clutch issue or funky carburetor. If the governor is completely removed and you put a governorless throttle those are your culprits. You said it revs, has compression and its definitely not the valves so what your dealing with is load related.
HAYSKILL sells a Gx200 kit on Amazon for about $35 that comes with a carb, coil, plug, kill switch, fuel filter, fuel line, gaskets, air filter, starter cup and pull starter. Make sure to get the one with the cup and pull starter. You'll end up with a decent carb and an good spare parts. You can gap the new coil with a business card so you won't need any special tools. It's the best place to start.

SAS289

That's interesting. And it would be a good idea to look at the clutch drum. The slip area should look very different from the rest of the drum. What if it is engaging enough no load to spin the back wheel but doesn't engage enough under full load? Another test would be to try running hard under load with the cover off and see if the clutch drum starts changing colors from heat. If it does you know it's slipping.

FatBuddyCat

That's interesting. And it would be a good idea to look at the clutch drum. The slip area should look very different from the rest of the drum. What if it is engaging enough no load to spin the back wheel but doesn't engage enough under full load? Another test would be to try running hard under load with the cover off and see if the clutch drum starts changing colors from heat. If it does you know it's slipping.
I had this exact thing happen with a Predator 79cc with a governor removal that I didn't do. The bike accelerated like doodoo and ran fine top end. It was because the clutch was fully engaging too soon, before the engine could produce any real power or torque. It would spin the tire like nothing if you lifted the bike off the ground but not with any weight. I'd say his clutch is stuck but without removing the drum and expecting the spring/shoes.

So i tried changing the clutch with a working one and had the same problem, i opened up the side cover and looks like my camshaft gear slipped on the camshaft, so the timing was off. I moved it over about 15 teeth until it was in line with the valves. Seemed to do the trick the bike is running better than ever.

HAYSKILL sells a Gx200 kit on Amazon for about $35 that comes with a carb, coil, plug, kill switch, fuel filter, fuel line, gaskets, air filter, starter cup and pull starter. Make sure to get the one with the cup and pull starter. You'll end up with a decent carb and an good spare parts. You can gap the new coil with a business card so you won't need any special tools. It's the best place to start.
^^^

FatBuddyCat

So i tried changing the clutch with a working one and had the same problem, i opened up the side cover and looks like my camshaft gear slipped on the camshaft, so the timing was off. I moved it over about 15 teeth until it was in line with the valves. Seemed to do the trick the bike is running better than ever.
Nice work! A little sleuthing goes a long way. I bet it happened when you did the governor removal. Your not alone in this and at least you had the guts to get in there yourself. That's the only way to learn and I bet you will retain a lot of it for the next time!

65ShelbyClone

looks like my camshaft gear slipped on the camshaft, so the timing was off. I moved it over about 15 teeth until it was in line with the valves. Seemed to do the trick the bike is running better than ever.
That's impossible. The gear and cam are cast as one piece of steel. You also need to use the alignment marks on the gears instead of just eyeballing it.

Probably running the plastic cam gear that comes in the Hisun 196. That is the whole issue that led to me learning how to build these engines. Once I knew there was plastic in my motor it was on like Donkey Kong. Nobody got time for that bologna to be breaking off in there!

65ShelbyClone

That would make more sense. I actually did look for pictures of the cam before I posted just to see if it had a plastic gear and none did, so that's what I ran with. In fact, I'm looking again and can't find pictures of plastic cam gears relating to a GX200 clone. :oops:

65ShelbyClone

What's that cloverleaf shadow in the plastic around the hub? It looks like the steel core is shaped to prevent rotation unless the gear seriously breaks.

I passed a magnet over it. Definitely metal cloves. Notice the dot that lines up with the crank? I bet that could have been mistaken for that little metal pivot point thus throwing off the valves.

15944091586126988466479482987108.jpg
The left one is a Coleman stock cam, the right one is a HiangDong. Bit of a difference in action where one pivots and the other one moves directly outbound.