Cushman Minibikes?

Passing out candy tonight, I had my Gilson Wide Body at the curb lit-up w/neon green strobe. Some guy asked about it and then told me that he and another fellow are starting to build minibikes under the Cushman name in Gardena, CA. I think scooters when I think Cushman but not full-on minis...

Any South Bay types can confirm this?

I mentioned that a Tote Gote type of machine would be my favorite and his eyes lit-up. Cushman II just came out with a new machines last year I thought. If they are doing well, minis might be on the menu.

Sorry, little too much wine tonight so didn't think to corner him!

Last edited:
Cushman still makes utility vehicles so it's not beyond the realm or possibilities, I can't see it being a simple machine given how they have evolved in the other vehicles.

Cushman still makes utility vehicles so it's not beyond the realm or possibilities, I can't see it being a simple machine given how they have evolved in the other vehicles.
That would be a different firm. According to the web site, Cushman (as in industrial) began in 1901. The scooter "Cushman" was around 1962 or so (according to the guy I met last night).

I guess I should have opened with "Cushman II". Sorry, I didn't know the background of this guy and what he intended to re-create.

Last edited:
Again, I should have said Cushman II. This guy told me that the old duffer had been making/selling other goods under his own company name since 1962. I assume that was to indicate that K-Jack had a history of manufacturing in SoCal. Whether or not he replicated Cushman back then, I don't know. It was soon thereafter though...

Again, I should have said Cushman II. This guy told me that the old duffer had been making/selling other goods under his own company name since 1962. I assume that was to indicate that K-Jack had a history of manufacturing in SoCal. Whether or not he replicated Cushman back then, I don't know. It was soon thereafter though...
10-4 !

The first Cushman motorscooter was manufactured in Lincoln, NE in 1939 and continued through 1965. The last of the Cushmans were sold as a 1966, but were built in 1965. The introduction of the Honda motorcycles from Japan put Cushman out of the scooter business.