Cutting disks

Are you using high speed cutting wheels on your hand grinder?

Be aware there is some real crap out there and not all of it is Chinese.
I got a batch of discs made in the EU that shatter like nothing and break up in you hand with little effort.

By fluke my brother who works some place else got his hands on the same brand.

AS fate would have it there was a big push on by one of the big companies in town to getthe chea[est thing possible.
They got it stock coded and rejected the shit after some people were hurt.

The local suplier decided to have a sale and dump them cheap.

Heads up nothing in life is cheap for a reason.....

Agreed. I try to carefully check the rpm ratings of the discs when I purchase them. Everything like that at HF makes me think twice and I ALWAYS use eye protection when cutting, period.

Good food for thought.

Davy

Oldsalt

Oldschool
Thanks for the heads-up. I have a bad habit of buying cheap stuff, so I'm most probably at risk. These cut-offblades are rarely guarded!

Oldschool
Thanks for the heads-up. I have a bad habit of buying cheap stuff, so I'm most probably at risk. These cut-offblades are rarely guarded!
I use the cut off wheel myself a lot.

There's a lot to be said about the quality but also how you use them.
That and avoind the tempation to try and grind a little something too,

Even a good disk is weakest if bent at high speed.

I should mention my brother was under his truck cutting a rotten exhasut pipe when he was injured by one.
Not serious but I warned him those were the same ones we had at work that were no good.

The disk broke up and the grinder jumped.
Then because he was laying on his back in a confined area he pulled the tool towards his chest where it grabbed his coveralls.
It stalled the tool and cut him right up the center of his sternum.
Not serious but ruined a shirt, rubbed off some flesh and gave him a frieght.

Lucky, the tool stalled on the clothing and did not hit him in the chin.

He wears a leather welders jacket most of the time and gloves as well as safety glasses.
But face shields are always better.

Last edited: