Dellorto UB 22 S - Ever Rebuild One?

I'm planning to use this Dellorto UB 22 S on a Tecumseh HS 50 for my Rupp BlackWidow Clone project. I could use information on getting a service kit, settings and any information on how to tune/rebuild this carb.

Dellorto UB 22 S

Last edited:

richs

I think the ub22a was for the h50 roadster for the blackwidow with the hs40 or hs50 was a ua19s I would call rupp parts Brandt at 636 933-7353 he will be able to help and has the parts

Thanks Minibikedude. I'll probably need to make my own 22mm 20 degree angled intake.

Still wondering if anyone knows how to adjust this carb.

Dellorto UB 22 S

Thanks novaracer!! Have you ordered from them? It looks like they have a good inventory for this carb. Anything I should know about this carb before I take it apart for inspection??

Do you currently own a Nova? My first car was a 67 Chevy II with the straight 6, 194 engine and powerglide. I still remember how hard it downshifted. My second car was a 66 Nova SS 327 that I kept for about 15 years and sold it before they appreciated in value:doah:

...Anything I should know about this carb before I take it apart for inspection??
There junk. You better cut your losses & sell it to me. :evil_laughter:

You will need to do your homework if you really want to be able to enjoy owning a Dell'Orto. Be careful taking it apart. It's real easy to strip out a jet & then not be able to get it out at all. :doah:

Here's another parts source.
eBay Store: Search results for genuinenos.

Some folks love those carbs, even more folks think they're junk. I don't think they have any advantage over a more modern Mikuni, Keihin, or the easiest to tune of them all, Tillotson.

They are kind of cool though....

Thanks for the parts link JM!! :bowdown: BTW, I like old junk, so I'm going to hold on to this one. Question:Which Tilly model would you suggest for an HS50 that's running gasoline??

My original question was on the main and idle settings. Being that the carb did not come off a running engine I'm not sure as to where I should start before tweeking the idle and main setting. I'm sure that I can figure it out by trial and error, but it would be simpler to start close to the final setting.

I also do not believe that the slanted intake for a UA19s will work on this UB22s. Am I right on this one? I hope that I'm wrong, it will be a lot easier to buy the slanted intake for a ua19s than fabricating one......

I'd like to be able to help you more, but I'm not a carburetor guru, or a Dell'Orto guru. That's why I made the comment about you will have to do your homework.

I like cool old stuff myself. That's how I ended up becoming involved with a Dell'Orto carb. There is information to be had on using these carbs on motorcycle engines, but I have not been able to find a thing in printed form on using one on a Flat-Head. Brandt at Rupp Parts is the only source of information that I'm aware of, on using these carbs on a Tecumseh. He is very difficult to contact. Make sure you have a well thought out list of questions prepared before you try to call him. It sounds like he is a one man show. He answers the phone & helps callers one by one as they come in. He might spend 15 to 20 minutes with you on the phone, while ignoring his call waiting. It may take several attempts to reach him & you may only get the one shot, so be ready.

Your carb looks like it is missing the choke & lever. I believe that is a part that is still available. Fabricating an intake manifold shouldn't be too difficult. You will need to make a flange that bolts to the head. You can use a gasket to trace out the part. Just make it slightly larger around the outside. You will need to locate some tubing that has an O.D. that will be a snug fit into the carb. Make sure that the I.D. matches the port on the head & the carb. Once you have those two parts, mock it up to insure the fit you want & tack weld the tubing to the flange. Then final weld it. If you can't weld, you can still mock it up & make some alignment marks. Then take it to your local welder.

Below are several links that I have found after many searches. None will answer your questions directly. You will have to go through it & piece it together.

Or find a Tillotson with a throttle bore that matches your intake port & bolt it on. Twist the 2 needles on the side & go riding. :evil_laughter:

Gregory Bender - Dell’Orto carburetors

ducatimeccanica.com - for classic Ducati motorcycle enthusiasts

Carburettor Settings - Ducati Vintage

Dellorto and weber carburettors online

Lambretta Carburettor & Jetting

CARB - CARB SPARES - FITTINGS -

Carburettor recommendations

Bevel Heaven Dellorto Carb Restoration services

Bevel Heaven - Vintage Ducati Bevel Drive Motorcycle Extravaganza.

See that pic below? That is the Idle Jet. That is the one that can be very difficult to remove. If you strip the screw-driver slot off the top, your screwed. Soak it with your favorites parts loosening snake oil & proceed with caution.

I'd like to be able to help you more, but I'm not a carburetor guru, or a Dell'Orto guru. That's why I made the comment about you will have to do your homework.

I like cool old stuff myself. That's how I ended up becoming involved with a Dell'Orto carb. There is information to be had on using these carbs on motorcycle engines, but I have not been able to find a thing in printed form on using one on a Flat-Head. Brandt at Rupp Parts is the only source of information that I'm aware of, on using these carbs on a Tecumseh. He is very difficult to contact. Make sure you have a well thought out list of questions prepared before you try to call him. It sounds like he is a one man show. He answers the phone & helps callers one by one as they come in. He might spend 15 to 20 minutes with you on the phone, while ignoring his call waiting. It may take several attempts to reach him & you may only get the one shot, so be ready.

Your carb looks like it is missing the choke & lever. I believe that is a part that is still available. Fabricating an intake manifold shouldn't be too difficult. You will need to make a flange that bolts to the head. You can use a gasket to trace out the part. Just make it slightly larger around the outside. You will need to locate some tubing that has an O.D. that will be a snug fit into the carb. Make sure that the I.D. matches the port on the head & the carb. Once you have those two parts, mock it up to insure the fit you want & tack weld the tubing to the flange. Then final weld it. If you can't weld, you can still mock it up & make some alignment marks. Then take it to your local welder.

Below are several links that I have found after many searches. None will answer your questions directly. You will have to go through it & piece it together.

Or find a Tillotson with a throttle bore that matches your intake port & bolt it on. Twist the 2 needles on the side & go riding. :evil_laughter:

Gregory Bender - Dell’Orto carburetors

ducatimeccanica.com - for classic Ducati motorcycle enthusiasts

Carburettor Settings - Ducati Vintage

Dellorto and weber carburettors online

Lambretta Carburettor & Jetting

CARB - CARB SPARES - FITTINGS -

Carburettor recommendations

Bevel Heaven Dellorto Carb Restoration services

Bevel Heaven - Vintage Ducati Bevel Drive Motorcycle Extravaganza.
See that pic below? That is the Idle Jet. That is the one that can be very difficult to remove. If you strip the screw-driver slot off the top, your screwed. Soak it with your favorites parts loosening snake oil & proceed with caution.
Thanks again for the many links and info on how not to :censure: up the idle jet. Reading the links will keep me busy for a while.... Once I've done my homework I'm planning to visit a local ducati shop to ask questions and get more information on this carb before I actually take it apart. If all else fails I'll give Brandt a call, I've spoken to him in the past and I'm sure that he'll be able to help. I'll post whatever I'm able to find.

Fabricating the intake as you describe makes sense I'll probably use some 301 stainless stainless tubing, this will allow custom placement of the carb on the mini.

I have a Dellorto UBF22B off the Twister but was told it was added to the 6hp briggs. Not sure if the F stands for flanged but it has a flange that looks Tecumseh to me.

I'm planning to use this Dellorto UB 22 S on a Tecumseh HS 50 for my Rupp BlackWidow Clone project. I could use information on getting a service kit, settings and any information on how to tune/rebuild this carb.

Dellorto UB 22 S

Hi mate.
I'm looking to purchase one of these for my mini bike.or looking for spare parts if you have any. This is the bike.

Attachments