Did my first Predator swap today...

And boy was it easy...
Grabbed a Baja Dirt Bug this past weekend for a decent price. Needed nothing but a rear tire...bald and slow leak.
Had already ordered a Predator for my Motovox MBX11, which is like brand new. Decided to put it on the Baja instead.

Had the old engine off in 5 minutes, and slid the Predator on to see what issues I'd have.
Only issue was the crossbar that fender bolts to, was hitting the OHV cover, not allowing engine to sit flush on engine plate.

Used a pipe bender to slightly tweak the crossbar and then eyeballed the clutch teeth with the rear sprocket. Marked the holes, drilled them out, lucky 1st try was dead on...or dead on "enough", lol.

Hooked the throttle up, added some oil, and gas, and 2 pulls later, running like a champ....

Somehow forgot to grab a 5/16" fine thread bolt to hold the clutch on, so couldn't ride it but it sounds great. I will add a TAV from OldMiniBikes soon, but wanted to do it as simple as possible...

Only "issue" was the starter housing was bent in, keeping pull cord from working...evidently that was why the box looked so beat up...had to massage the cover a bit, and as luck would have it, didn't see it until everything was bolted on. ...

Next predator will be picked up at a store, and not shipped..

Can't wait to swap the Motovox now... :)

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Easy as that... Now the fun begins with making it faster. Tweaking on these little engines is like Mechanics 101. They are very simple little engines and relatively inexpensive, so don't be scared to try shit like removing the gov. and opening up the intake and exhaust a little. Welcome to the club. Be careful the first couple times you take off if you've got a 12t clutch... With that big 70t sprocket, you'll now have a ton of torque and you'll find out quickly that the front end will want to come up pretty easy...

Easy as that... Now the fun begins with making it faster. Tweaking on these little engines is like Mechanics 101. They are very simple little engines and relatively inexpensive, so don't be scared to try shit like removing the gov. and opening up the intake and exhaust a little. Welcome to the club. Be careful the first couple times you take off if you've got a 12t clutch... With that big 70t sprocket, you'll now have a ton of torque and you'll find out quickly that the front end will want to come up pretty easy...
LOL, at 300#, I NEED a ton of torque... :evil_laughter:
but I hear ya, and have been down that road with an old Montgomery Ward...it had a 4hp Tecumseh and a Comet TAV. Blew it up the 1st day, 1st time I rode it...Guy sold me a 6.5hp Honda off of a water discharge pump. Everyone who ever tried riding it took a spill, LOL...It would power wheelie at will.

I think this one will actually be my "pit bike" for the dragstrip. It's already got some bumps and bruises, so loading it onto my car trailer won't give me any anxiety.

I was thinking keeping it kinda simple...

Stage 1 kit:
https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/performance-parts/predator-212cc/performance-kits-hemi/

and the TAV:
https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/mini-bike-go-kart/torque-converters/

But for right now...I need a rear tire. It's bald and has a slow leak.

Any suggestions, or advice on what to stay away from?

nice score, I like the blue version of that doodle, should be right fast to, I bought that TAV from OldMiniBikes, all I can say is good stuff!!!!!! may want to think about changing the red spring out for the yellow down the road, makes a world of difference. post up some more pics when you get everything together and a vid if possible. nice job!!

Nice Job on the swap , and that's a real nice DB you got to .:thumbsup:
nice score, I like the blue version of that doodle, should be right fast to, I bought that TAV from OldMiniBikes, all I can say is good stuff!!!!!! may want to think about changing the red spring out for the yellow down the road, makes a world of difference. post up some more pics when you get everything together and a vid if possible. nice job!!
Thanks guys. I'm still debating the Motovox swap. I have a young grandson, who's still a ways off of riding one, but the Motovox is literally like brand new. I just hate to tear it up, lol...

Well...finally was able to ride it...LOL...holy crap!!

It's like the Chinese engine from Hell...lol. I need MORE BRAKES...they were a little "iffy" before...now, there's no IF's about it.

The clutch is a Chinese MegaFlint, off of Amazon. Only grabbed it because I had a refund credit to use up...
Anyway, it feels a LOT like the stock clutches on the Doodlebug/Motovox minis...like a long, delayed acceleration...

Best I could describe it...like a torque converter on a hot rod, that was "too tight", aka, the stall speed too low...

Once it is rolling, it pulls pretty darn hard...

I know the TAV will solve that lag, but just wanted to share. It's fine for now. Got a set of tires coming for it, and now have to find some brake pads...

i can't imagine what that motor is going to feel like on a tiny bike. i put one on a warrior and though it would be underpowered, but i can't keep the front wheel down. good luck, invest in a helmet maybe, lol.

Great Post and Nice Job! I picked up an ancient Sears Roper with a 3hp H30... Long story short, I don't think I'm going to mess with trying to piece together the carb and troubleshoot. Think the best option is to make the same HF Predator swap as you did with a 20% coupon! Curious... how did you attach the throttle cable? Also, since my boys are a little young, are you planning a clutch/chain cover? If so, have you found a direct bolt on?