dirtbike to Bmx wheel conversion?

Im guessing you meant 48 spokes becuase there are always an even number of spokes unless some are broke. I checked out some images on google of the stock tire it looks like 28 spokes if that is correct? That would be a problem. Are you trying to use that particular rim because you already have one? What kind of spacing do you have for the wheel, I'm pretty good with spoked wheels and can probably help you out.
You would be better off going with a 16 inch moped rim (heavier, wider, directional spoke holes) same size rim just motorcycles and bicycles use a different measurement method. Plus the wider rim will allow meaty tires.

Last edited:

Valocalrep

Im a bike mechanic and i dont know of many 45 spoke bmx wheels unless they are custom builds, I would be careful tho because most of those wheels unless they are high end or hand made cant take that much tension on them and we have watch a few snap while trying to build crazy things

The spokes- with out seeing the wheel in-hand, can't say weather they would hold. What you want at least 12 ga spokes , proper tension, and the wheels should have been stressed during building, and trued .... to check for stressing look at every spoke butt and make sure it is seated completely and evenly against the hub. hope this helps

It may not be a 45 spoke. I do know it has more spokes then normal. This is going to be a cruiser. I won't be jumping or going very fast. I will post pics when I get home. I have it mounted now but the bestow.ha are noisy.

on the back too? or just the front. On the front it will be fine. I have a chopper with a bicycle wheel on front and its been fine for 10 years on and off road even on bumpy trails. But on the back gets alot more weight on it . its the weight that bends them. the power will stretch and break spokes

A wheel built properly with bicycle spokes for what you want to use it for will hold up no doubt. example...2012 land speed record at bonneville 175 cc class 11 ga. Workman spokes oh yeah it has pedals.

Motor- Shane at AGK
Cycle - Pat Dolan A.K.A. Sportsman Flyer
Pilot- Gunther Maier

Last edited:
That was just for an example of how strong a bicycle spoke can be if used correctly as one part of a wheel. Post a pic when you can of the wheel. You are going to need a way to attach the sprocket to the hub. If the front wheel is the same as the back I'm betting its a machine made wheel not hand laced and may not hold up.