Does a 1.3 rocker make an engine harder to pull start?

After the advice given earlier here, I threw a stamped 1.3 rocker on the intake of our Predator 212. Set lash carefully to .003 on each intake and exhaust.

The engine is extremely hard to pull start compared to before. Prior to the clear install, it was like pulling a lawn mower starter, now, it takes all of my strength to get it passed compression. Then it runs perfectly

I pulled off valve cover and rechecked lash.

Same
Problem

Any input? Does the rocker change compression?????

Oh. Just for completeness sake, if I pull the spark plug, the engine turns over fine so there is no obvious binding of the valve against the piston. That's why I assume it is compression related.

I'm just having trouble understanding this

Last edited:
Exhaust lash is too loose and not engaging the compression release. Pull the valve cover and check the lash again with the piston at tdc.

Will do

One more thing....just thought of this I am using a stock rocker on the exhaust side and the 1.3 on the intake. I am using the Arc guide plate suggested for the 1.3 rocker. I notice that the valve rod has a little more side to side play on the exhaust side (since the plate is shorter).

Could that be the problem?

CarPlayLB

Will do

One more thing....just thought of this I am using a stock rocker on the exhaust side and the 1.3 on the intake. I am using the Arc guide plate suggested for the 1.3 rocker. I notice that the valve rod has a little more side to side play on the exhaust side (since the plate is shorter).

Could that be the problem?
nope...it is the lash. Redo both valves

Update
Put the standard rocker on....SO much easier to start!

We are mounting the external fuel tank this weekend. Then we are good to go!

Thanks for the help everyone!