Does A Non OEM Frame Color Reduce Resale Value?

Zooming993

I recently posted a thread in the Strictly US Vintage forum of my 1967 Taco 22. I haven't painted it yet mainly because I'm not sure what color to paint it. I am considering painting it the correct color but purple has never been my favorite color. My question has to do with resale value. If I do decide to go with another color (Gloss black, Red, Grey, etc) would I greatly reduce the value of the bike?

Thanks

Where did you get the "correct color purple" from?

Opinions on value vary widely.

As far as paint, it can always be stripped and repainted. When a desirable frame (to me) has been powder coated, I automatically add the cost of having it sand blasted off- but only if it's a vintage bike that has value to me as an original, and I want it. I have yet to buy a powder coated bike, or a bike that someone else restored. My joy is in the process of restoring, not storing in my garage rafters.

Your resale value is going to be more dependent upon the originality of the components on the bike, than what color it's painted. I do not let possible resale value, desirability, or the opinions of others dictate my mini bike hobby. If a $350 difference in price is at stake, is it worth thinking about? Paint it what color you want to.

I don't think so. It's too easily reversed. Now if you were cutting, bending, welding, drilling...anything that is hard or impossible to repair, then you are probably hurting the value, and definitely ruining the originality. I have restored and preserved many antique tractors. I often update them with better ignition and charging systems if people are going to put them to work again. However, anything I've ever done is easily reversed with readily available parts.
Joe

T-Town Mini

If your intention is to sell the bike as an original restored Taco then paint it the correct color.
If you're keeping the bike for yourself then paint it whatever color you want.

That's just my opinion...I'm no expert. If it were my bike, I'd paint it the right color Purple. I do think it adds to the originality if a bike is painted in a date correct color option as it was offered from the factory. Whether that adds to the value is dependent on who owns it or, who's buying it.

I just painted a Rupp Roadster2. This is as close to the factory color as I could find info for. I started a thread for the correct color code for it and nobody knew... I contacted Rupp experts and asked them and they didn't know the color code either.

This is an AMC car color called Wild Plum. It came out great. If you are looking for a nice purple color, try this one.

Danford1

My opinion would be yes, it detracts from the overall originality. I started out with a full custom/custom color and worked back to completely stock examples. Personally, the OE examples, of the same bike, take me back to the days of when they were new and I was younger. The colors were fairly boring but in touch with the time period.

This is my opinion and that's all it is. If you have a true survivor and it is in very, very good to excellent shape and it is ALL there...completely unmolested....you have a chance of killing some value. Other than that, no. Paint it what you want and enjoy. Just remember it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. There is no "book value" on these things.

Just a thought and I am NO expert on Taco bikes....I was under the impression no one has actually found the exact purple color of the originals yet. Then again I have been heavily medicated. :confused:

Doc

Last edited:
Just a thought and I am NO expert on Taco bikes....I was under the impression no one has actually found the exact purple color of the originals yet. Then again I have been heavily medicated. :confused: Doc
Pretty close Doc. (and glad to see you back) Chip Foose had some original touch up paint, and a few of the CA guys did some work narrowing it down. I posted the non-CA version (higher VOC) on the OP's original thread. The original color was a copy of Lynn Wineland's 32 Roadster from 1959. He was the editor at that time of Rod and Custom, and pals with John Steen. I'd post the formula again, but it's a waste of time.

Paint is easy to change. If you are building it to enjoy 1st and maybe sell later then paint it whatever floats your boat. Just don't change any of the metal by chopping or drilling it up.

If somebody wants it bad enough to buy it out from under you they won't care about the color. If you decide you are tired of it later you can paint it for the collectors.

When I first started my MW/gilson I planned on going back 100% factory but the more I tinkered with it the more I wanted it to be the upgraded version. I'm lucky enough the main pieces are the same between the 2 and the upgrades just bolt on. The end of the day I'm not trying to fool anybody thinking it was a 525 from the start but I'm keeping and even restoring the parts not being used. Later on if it finds a new home they can decide to leave it or return it back to factory.

Last edited:
yes!!!!!! it devalues the bike do it original!.... if you have the correct rims and sprocket and engine 3 hp briggs if not do a custom i have done a lot over the years ....as far as correct ? everyone i have done came with a different shade some almost a blue.... things were not perfect back then.......Whats works great for me after some many tests is the Eastwood translucent grape powder over translucent silver base powder coat the problem is getting a powder coater that can do it right as it is a translucent color so they can burn it or miss spots .......the other problem it shows every dent and pit with powder.......so if we figure paint and primer clean soda blasted frame all metal work done acid etch primer then a heavy primer sanded then a automotive paint custom mixed to the taco purple then whats your cost of paint and labor?.. powder should be $75 to blast $125 to powder coat use your own powder from eastwood or prismatic..there is one on ebay wrong color.... engine not painted Azusa rims (gag) wrong sprocket..... seat with taco logo....then a set of taco rims and worn sprocket for $275....A nicely done Taco 22 should go for $1200 and a Taco 44 around $1500 but parts are going up and frames are harded to find.....just my opinion

Funny, similar to the correct color of Blue on the Shelby Cobras. When Carrol was asked about it, he said "Whatever we had that day"
Heck even today the "correct" color on autos varies as they come down the line.

I'd say if you plan on selling it as an aka original then find the closest match if you don't have the correct formula.
If you're just building for yourself, it's your bike, paint it any darn color you want.

Havasu Dave, Loose term of the word "correct", I guess we're still searching for the secret formula.

Thanks for all the feedback Guys, it helps. No matter what I build or restore I always try and keep in mind resale Since it is an original 22 with NOS wheels and an original rear sprocket, maybe I should stick to the OEM color. At this time I don't have period correct BS engine and I doubt I would sell it with the WB580 (to much invested), oh well, something to think about.

after seeing the your bike photos with the wb 580 its cool! so its going to be a great custom......what I see that would look great is a metalic silver powder coated frame do the engine shroud and tank the same silver or chrome but chrome maybe over the top....polish the taco cover and the engine mount and rims and POP! looks great! im tempted to copy...... i wish i had those early taco frames with the west bends ...... I finished this 60s bug kart and won the VKA adams "best Bug kart award" what they liked is how the polished aluminum off
set the blue and the black

Havasu Dave, Loose term of the word "correct", I guess we're still searching for the secret formula.
I already supplied you with the color formula in this thread but apparently it flew under the radar, or you assume I'm some guesser on the internet. :laugh: Sometimes I am!

Because I do not post photos of my bikes on threads started by others with photos of their bikes, (or at least try to exercise a degree of OldMiniBikes etiquette) I didn't post this photo on your original post. It's a (modified) Taco 99 painted with that formula I did a few years ago. If you don't like purple, that's cool. Paint, or Powder Coat it as you like.

I already supplied you with the color formula in this thread but apparently it flew under the radar, or you assume I'm some guesser on the internet. :laugh: Sometimes I am!

Because I do not post photos of my bikes on threads started by others with photos of their bikes, (or at least try to exercise a degree of OldMiniBikes etiquette) I didn't post this photo on your original post. It's a (modified) Taco 99 painted with that formula I did a few years ago. If you don't like purple, that's cool. Paint, or Powder Coat it as you like.

Great color and bike!!!..... I always like to see what others are building lots of great bikes and ideas out there

Great color and bike!!!..... I always like to see what others are building lots of great bikes and ideas out there
Thanks Greg. I got that frame, swing arm, and wheels off of "Neck" several years ago, and then found an original Trail Tamer. Shocks are from an old Moto Guzzi 125, and are slightly bigger and taller than the original Ceriani were. Worked out, since the Trail Tamers brought up the front a bit. Motor was a very tricked out flattie I got from a guy on here. 40 MPH, and the font end would start to wobble. Sold the bike two years ago at least. Probably my favorite rider of all the bikes I ever owned.