Does any one ride mountain bikes?

I try to ride at least once a week but its not enough. I cant climb or down hill as good any more but its still great way to get outdoors once in while. some of these trails I wish were minibike legal, many times I been tempted to ride on these cool trails with a quiet minibike at night with lights.
Lets see your mountain bike and hear about the trails you ride?
I just got back from a ride today in SoCals Palos Verde hills near the ocean, and it was so green it look like it was another country!

Last edited:
yeah I worked in bike shops off and on since I was kid. but last bike shop job was around 15 years ago. how do like working on bikes? its kind fun!

mountain biking

Thanks Tom, I took them with a little cheap camera I had in my camel back. I couldn't resist since I had not seen it like that in a long time. probably will last another couple months then it will all dry up like SoCal usually does.

fistfullabar

yeah wody i used to be a bike messenger in N.Y.C. so i am pretty addicted to bi cycles my buddy rode from L.A. to S.F. up 101 on a fixed gear and his sister is still a bike messenger they rode over the alps together hardcore try riding in freezing rain for 8 to 10 hours:eek:ut:

toomanytoys

I'd like to get back into it. We don't have 'mountains' per say but some nice nature trails and such you can bike on. I need practice lol

I need to get back into shape! I haven't exercised or worked out in ohh..5 years. I'm sitting at 205 with a little belly.

Stinger 2 wheel drive

I was always the little Sk8er Punk and was into skateboards when they were getting going pretty strong, back when I was like 12 or whatever and hanging in Battle Creek a lot....

I ended up moving on to the Freestyle bikes.. I am still pretty baddass on a 20 inch freestyle bike.. :shifty: Give me a good Gate Dancer, GT, Redline, Hutch, Ross Piranha, Schwinn Predator, Haro, and I can still get wild and crazy....

My Brother in law still has an all original Hutch Excel, an older Haro he picked from a garage sale a year ago.. A BMX body Schwinn Predator that I found in the garbage years ago... I dunno.. there's a few.... Nothing like the TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars worth we USED TO HAVE before Evilbay existed.. :facepalm:

I have a few vintage bikes I've found.. But still have a $7 Trek that I ride from time to time.... It is GREAT for sneaking under the highway to look for mushrooms... Or just cheap transport to town on an ideal day.. It's good to stay in shape.....

I also have THIS THING that will keep you in shape... Two wheel drive... If you can pedal it... It can go... :mellow:

joekd

I have a Trek Y frame full suspension, upgraded to hydraulic Magura brakes. Took me some time to get used to as I was a hardtail rider forever but once used to it the bike climbs and brakes like a monster.

yeah wody i used to be a bike messenger in N.Y.C. so i am pretty addicted to bi cycles my buddy rode from L.A. to S.F. up 101 on a fixed gear and his sister is still a bike messenger they rode over the alps together hardcore try riding in freezing rain for 8 to 10 hours:eek:ut:
Messengers usually are hard core! My sons friend is going to do that ride from L.A. to S.F. and is trying to talk my son it to it also, but not on a fixed gear that had to be hard? Alps in the good weather is bad enough!
I raced downhill for many years and ended up on the 1993 U.S.A. Down hill team as a vet, and raced in the World Mountain Bike Championship in Vail,Colorado that year. I still love Mt.Bikes, but I am 25lbs heavier so its alot harder now. and wish I had a throttle on my Mt.bike some times if you know what mean? lol
Nice looking hard tail! good for wheelies and jumping huh?

I'd like to get back into it. We don't have 'mountains' per say but some nice nature trails and such you can bike on. I need practice lol

I need to get back into shape! I haven't exercised or worked out in ohh..5 years. I'm sitting at 205 with a little belly.
Me too! around 200+ also. got to do it, its never too late! get out on those trails and see what you can find and when your not going to fast stop and take some pictures to post? you might even find a place to ride a minibike lol?

I was always the little Sk8er Punk and was into skateboards when they were getting going pretty strong, back when I was like 12 or whatever and hanging in Battle Creek a lot....

I ended up moving on to the Freestyle bikes.. I am still pretty baddass on a 20 inch freestyle bike.. :shifty: Give me a good Gate Dancer, GT, Redline, Hutch, Ross Piranha, Schwinn Predator, Haro, and I can still get wild and crazy....

My Brother in law still has an all original Hutch Excel, an older Haro he picked from a garage sale a year ago.. A BMX body Schwinn Predator that I found in the garbage years ago... I dunno.. there's a few.... Nothing like the TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars worth we USED TO HAVE before Evilbay existed.. :facepalm:

I have a few vintage bikes I've found.. But still have a $7 Trek that I ride from time to time.... It is GREAT for sneaking under the highway to look for mushrooms... Or just cheap transport to town on an ideal day.. It's good to stay in shape.....

I also have THIS THING that will keep you in shape... Two wheel drive... If you can pedal it... It can go... :mellow:

Vintage Mt.Bikes are getting popular, especially if they are from the very beginning of mt.biking! like the old chrome handlebars they called Bullmoose bars, those are really rare. cantilever brakes were even before V-brakes and then they came out with hydraulic operated cantilevers. old hand built steel frames with brazed lug corners are very cool!
This two wheel drive bike you have I remember and its really rare try to hang on to that.

Last edited:

fistfullabar

my friend would say go the other way from S.F. to L.A. or you will be riding into the wind the whole time and friend is THOUGH and that ride broke him done the alps was nothing in comparison i used to live in durango co and my friends was buddies with shaun palmer and i think ned overend still lives and rides there it was great i lived and spent a freezing winter in a state forest so it was nice to walk out side and in a few minutes your in reality of nature the true reality with out manmade stuff distracting me those pic are like that i used to have a specialized fsr comp with the mountain speed upgrade and a mr t fork with the 20mm axle and a 24 inch sunn double wide with arrow racing 2.7 tire in the back your bike looks like a marin full suspension watta got fox front and back shocks those are sweet bikes if thats what your rockin:scooter::thumbsup::laugh:

my friend would say go the other way from S.F. to L.A. or you will be riding into the wind the whole time and friend is THOUGH and that ride broke him done the alps was nothing in comparison i used to live in durango co and my friends was buddies with shaun palmer and i think ned overend still lives and rides there it was great i lived and spent a freezing winter in a state forest so it was nice to walk out side and in a few minutes your in reality of nature the true reality with out manmade stuff distracting me those pic are like that i used to have a specialized fsr comp with the mountain speed upgrade and a mr t fork with the 20mm axle and a 24 inch sunn double wide with arrow racing 2.7 tire in the back your bike looks like a marin full suspension watta got fox front and back shocks those are sweet bikes if thats what your rockin:scooter::thumbsup::laugh:
That ride is that bad huh? I rode in Durango also and loved it! yeah all these trails around here still have distracting bulshit but its better then nothing or better then driving two hours. Ned Overland was a great rider a billy goat climber. yep just a marin, but I have some others in the garage I,ll take some pictures of. two I designed and built, another I designed and built for Club Roost, I designed a few bikes in the past like the Haro which was copied by Ironhorse and Kona and won world championships that same year. I designed other bikes that were also rip off by companies when I didnt get the right protection! that new trek rear pivot on their new suspension bike that has the rear pivot built in the rear axle, I did that design back in 1994, and presented it to different companies but was turned down back then, trek being one of them decided to say it was their new idea all of sudden but I had no patent protection so its theirs now! I still have that bike with the kona rear suspension I did back in 1993. the bicycle industry is worse then the toy or computer industry for rip offs!
but what ever I have a few new mountain bike ideas protected this time by a big corporation who have licensed them from me. one is a very cool front fork coming out soon hopefully because I need the money lol.
minibikes or mountainbikes keep on riding them!

mt.bikes

here,s some pictures of my mt.bike designs, the first one is the one I did for Haro which Iron Horse and Kona copied. the next one is also one that Kona used the link design and the rear pivot design finally used by Trek with out my permission.

Last edited:

fistfullabar

wow wody is 93 worlds in vail was that the 1st championship? i might have red about you in mountain bike action and your designs look off the hook cant wait to see your new fork can it be put on a mini bike:laugh: i love full suspension but i also like the ease of a single speed and it realy helps my riding there is a certain purity in 2 wheels 1 gear and 1 brake man wody can we design a cool simple trail worthy full suspension mini bikes like rupp,fox and speedways its is really inspiring to see you ride race and design and build stuff:thumbsup:

Vintage Mt.Bikes are getting popular, especially if they are from the very beginning of mt.biking! like the old chrome handlebars they called Bullmoose bars, those are really rare. cantilever brakes were even before V-brakes and then they came out with hydraulic operated cantilevers. old hand built steel frames with brazed lug corners are very cool!
This two wheel drive bike you have I remember and its really rare try to hang on to that.
No shit??? What year do you suppose it is? It's about to go to auction at a joint where :shrug: People bid stuff high.. But then again, let stuff go because they don't know what it's worth...

An Old guy who is not very bright had him this NICE NICE NICE!!! :drool: Schwinn Le-Tour, made in JAPAN, then shipped over here.. It was like a 1971 and in PER!! FECT!! shape....

I told him...

"10 speeds really aren't very collectable.. BUT a GOOD ONE always will hold some value.. Hell the Varsity Schwinns are a good 100 150 bucks for a great one.. :shrug: YOURS!! being a MADE FOR RACING!!!! MADE for the shit.. VERY!! light weight... ( i couldn't believe how light) BUT your Schwinn... Is like top of the line model, from a VERY well follwed brand... MADE IN JAPAN and not Chicago which is TOTALLY crazy... The sweet ass Robins Egg Blue that ya never see on them.........

MAN!! I would call this bike an EASY 200 bucks... Maybe 300 or more... $379.99 at the bike store sitting right next to a 2012 model...

But.. if it were (mine) I'd probably just call it 100 bucks.. It's sold, 100 bucks in my pocket, someone else has it... And it's WORTH 100 bucks solid.. and anyone really should pay that... :shrug:

But.... at Meidema's With those guys.. I'm sure theres more than one guy that will bid on it.. Hell I'd say it'll do AT LEAST 100 bucks... Hell MAYBE 200??/ :shrug:

And he shipped it up there and got 115 bucks for it 135 bucks... :shrug:

So I don't know..... She might just go to auction.... :lol:

wow wody is 93 worlds in vail was that the 1st championship? i might have red about you in mountain bike action and your designs look off the hook cant wait to see your new fork can it be put on a mini bike:laugh: i love full suspension but i also like the ease of a single speed and it realy helps my riding there is a certain purity in 2 wheels 1 gear and 1 brake man wody can we design a cool simple trail worthy full suspension mini bikes like rupp,fox and speedways its is really inspiring to see you ride race and design and build stuff:thumbsup:
No you,ll never read about Vet down hill riders in magazines, we were just barely faster then the fastest womens down hillers. I want to build a fun vintage looking full suspension mini bike, that retains that vintage look but has safer newer technology hidden away, that would be cool!

No shit??? What year do you suppose it is? It's about to go to auction at a joint where :shrug: People bid stuff high.. But then again, let stuff go because they don't know what it's worth...

An Old guy who is not very bright had him this NICE NICE NICE!!! :drool: Schwinn Le-Tour, made in JAPAN, then shipped over here.. It was like a 1971 and in PER!! FECT!! shape....

I told him...

"10 speeds really aren't very collectable.. BUT a GOOD ONE always will hold some value.. Hell the Varsity Schwinns are a good 100 150 bucks for a great one.. :shrug: YOURS!! being a MADE FOR RACING!!!! MADE for the shit.. VERY!! light weight... ( i couldn't believe how light) BUT your Schwinn... Is like top of the line model, from a VERY well follwed brand... MADE IN JAPAN and not Chicago which is TOTALLY crazy... The sweet ass Robins Egg Blue that ya never see on them.........

MAN!! I would call this bike an EASY 200 bucks... Maybe 300 or more... $379.99 at the bike store sitting right next to a 2012 model...

But.. if it were (mine) I'd probably just call it 100 bucks.. It's sold, 100 bucks in my pocket, someone else has it... And it's WORTH 100 bucks solid.. and anyone really should pay that... :shrug:

But.... at Meidema's With those guys.. I'm sure theres more than one guy that will bid on it.. Hell I'd say it'll do AT LEAST 100 bucks... Hell MAYBE 200??/ :shrug:

And he shipped it up there and got 115 bucks for it 135 bucks... :shrug:

So I don't know..... She might just go to auction.... :lol:
its not the bike thats worth any thing its the two wheel drive system that I have not seen for sale any where? so that might be worth some off that bike?

Schwinns made in the USA I think are worth more then the ones made in japan, just because they are not made in the USA any more! when they first started making the bikes over seas they were not very good until later when we step in and helped with the engineering and better quality of metal. they bought metal from us in Taiwan and China and still do because they just cant get it right.
but as far as the worth of those bikes you talk about, well thats up to the buyer. you can find them all day on Craigs List pretty cheap right now. road bikes are making a come back and some oldies can be worth a little more but not much.