Doodlebug Aftermarket Wheels and HD Brake upgrade

I had done a ton of research before deciding to change the wheels, stance and brakes on my doodlebug project. As many people who are interested in upgrading this stuff, will not know whats in a thread, I decided to make this thread on what Ive done and the cost it took. You can do independent research or find used parts etc to save money... there are also, other styles of wheels etc and other options that may be cheaper... this is the way/how i am doing my project... hadnt seen a write up like this, so...

After ordering the wheels for the project, I noticed that AGK (affordablegokarts) has a complete package, for $249 (plus shipping). hotrodminibikes also sells a nice looking kit. You can save some money or not, depending on where you buy your parts, etc.

for this upgrade, I will be using the following, all prices are plus shipping:
WHEELS/components:
-new x7 style front and rear wheels, incl. bearings and inner sleeves, $79.90
-new tires (street) front 90/65-8 rear 130/50-8, $54.90
-custom 54t sprocket, rear rotor, spacers, valve stems and hardware $84.66
total for the wheel/tire stuff = $219.46

you can save a bit sourcing this stuff yourself, but after talking with the tech guy at AGK and the great customer service, I felt like supporting the business and bought the extra parts they use in their kit...

BRAKE UPGRADE:
-rt hand brake lever/fluid res (spec order), with HD caliper and brake line $82.95 shipped
got these parts from ProMod (hotrodminibikes). again you may be able to save a buck or two, maybe... but I like to support businesses I consider to be good, where the savings would only be a couple bucks...

using right hand lever, because the left side of the handle bar has the clutch lever and this is what i am accustomed too on streetbikes/harleys... it also looks cleaner than having two levers on one side, IMHO

for this project, stock wheels in pic:

Last edited:
had put the caliper on with the stock wheel and tire and it would need some slight massaging... but with the new combo may not, so have to mock it up with that before grinding...

just waiting on the spacers, hardware, rotor/sprocket etc. to get this thread rolling thru the mock up and test phase... then have to tear it all down and do the prep and paint work on the wheels/bike

I will be watching this thread cause I just acquired a db........you do some mighty fine work......:thumbsup:
thank you cant wait to get it all mocked up...as far as hardware, all of the stuff can be purchased a little cheaper at the hardware store... and also using the stock sprocket (would be around $12 and not $36) and a rotor off a mountain bike will work... but only paid $12 for that...

you could take the stock spacers (one of them is supposed to be the right length) and cut the longer one to the same size as the shorter one for the FRONT... this should center the wheel, but measurements should be taken to verify this...

will use the following hardware:
1/2" aluminum spacer - 6
3/4" aluminum spacer - 6
m6 x 40mm bolt - 6
m6 x 30mm bolt - 6
m6 flat washer - 12
wheel spacer tube (5/8" pipe to cut for wheel spacers, for the rear)

CarPlayLB

Brutha man...that is going to be bad a$$...and you will also claim the distinction of the highest cost of build for a DB! I like it...continue!

Cast your stone...I have over 2K into my Murray!

Brutha man...that is going to be bad a$$...and you will also claim the distinction of the highest cost of build for a DB! I like it...continue!

Cast your stone...I have over 2K into my Murray!
lol. thanks, I was checking out some of your pics, nice stuff... if i can get this thing to go fast enough and SAFELY, then it will go down the 1/8 mile at the track, with one of the kids riding it... in the near future... but being that it is my project... they dont have to put the work or the money into it, to enjoy it... lol... will consider one of them a "paid" driver/

i was going to help my daughter mod out her bonanza, but she needs to do most of the work herself and i feel better modifying or straying away from the typical restoration on a bike i dont care about...

Very cool rims and brakes LSC!

Gotta ask though, any details on the exhaust? Like how did you hook up to the head and what flexible hose are you using? Want to do a custom exhaust and your idea looks way better than using plumbing brass tubing! Thanks!

Got most of the hardware, the sprocket, rotor and spacers in...

again, to save a little money you can just grab the stuff from a local hardware store, and cut your own bushing/spacers up... also, the 54t sprocket was around $36. you can source a stock style one for around $12, however, IMHO, it does not "look as cool"... $36 for the sprocket was reasonable to me... or find the wheels, tires, etc off craigslist, ebay or wherever and shave a little off the cost... being that I am going to attempt to paint the wheels, i wanted it in great condition to begin with... and there is the whole impatient thing...