doodlebug engine problem

Motra

Try letting the engine warm up at idle for a minute, then lift the rear wheel off the ground and ease into the throttle. BE CAREFUL when doing this. Just see if you can get things spinning with no load on it.

now that i think about it, one of my clutches would make a noise similar to that when it had a broken spring. i didn't have any issues at idle though, it just sounded horrible when i was riding it.

edit: after watching the video a couple more times i'm 100% sure it's the clutch.

Last edited:
Is it new? I'll tell you what, if you send 5 bucks to cover shipping, I'll USPS my brand newbie clutch to you. I just got my DB and I am going to convert to a 6.5, so I have no use for the stock clutch. PM me :thumbsup:

Strigoi, whats up with the Cherokee, looks like my kinda ride...

Last edited:
now that i think about it, one of my clutches would make a noise similar to that when it had a broken spring. i didn't have any issues at idle though, it just sounded horrible when i was riding it.

edit: after watching the video a couple more times i'm 100% sure it's the clutch.
are you sure man:confused: one time i tightened the chain on my yard kart too much and that is the exact same thing that it did!

are you sure man:confused: one time i tightened the chain on my yard kart too much and that is the exact same thing that it did!
i've had my chain way too tight before and it never did anything like that.

it's the noise that makes me think it's the clutch. obviously something is trying to lock up and that's what's stalling out the motor.

doodlebugdreamer, pull the clutch off and see if it does it. if it doesn't then you know the clutch is the problem. if you don't want to do that, at least take the chain off and see what happens.

That noise sounded like the clutch to me. The doodle bug clutches are crap. Maybe it's still under warranty but it will happen again so get a Comet or max torque. :thumbsup:

He will have to take the clutch off, just taking the chain off will allow the the clutch to spin freely, the noise will go away-it's the clutch pad held by the broken spring-like you said first Strigoi.

i've had my chain way too tight before and it never did anything like that.

it's the noise that makes me think it's the clutch. obviously something is trying to lock up and that's what's stalling out the motor.

doodlebugdreamer, pull the clutch off and see if it does it. if it doesn't then you know the clutch is the problem. if you don't want to do that, at least take the chain off and see what happens.
well dang if that is the case i have been riding for a year and a half with a busted ass clutch ! hahahahahah:doah:

delray

looks like the chain could be to tight or the the clutch is sticking. try to adjust the chain roller first

if no luck, take the chain cover off and look at the clutch and see if it is frozen up or broken somewhere.
no problems with my original clutch and i am on my second year with it. maybe because i regear my bike has soon has i got it:thumbsup: the heavier you are the faster it will burn up with the stock set up:doah:

doodlebugdreamer I had/have the same exact issue with my new bike.

We took the clutch off and the problem noise went away. When we took the clutch apart, we found a snap ring holding the clutch together (not the one holding it on the shaft) was not in it's groove.

Another problem we have is that when I was riding the bike if I let off on the throttle the engine would die. We messed with it for a little while and then brought it to a shop Baja told us to. It is getting a new clutch and carburator. It just stinks I don't have my bike to ride right now.:sadcrying4:

That is the exact problem I had with my Doodle Bug, in fact, that is the problem that brought me to “OldMiniBikes.com” looking for answers.
Thanks for posting the video; I was not able to describe the problem like your video did.
My Doodle Bug had this problem the day I bought it. My problem was, the chain was too loose and the idle speed was too slow. As the chain vibrated, and swung up and down at idle, the clutch was grabbing thinking it was getting throttle. When the clutch grabbed, there was not enough idle speed to keep the engine running and it would die.
Tighten the chain (1/2” to 3/4 “movement). See if that helps. As other people mentioned, lift the back wheel off the ground and give it some throttle. Once the engine warms up, it is far less likely to happen.

Hey DirtyHarry i Just got my doodlebug 2days ago and it has the same problem. when i get the bike started and ride it it works until i let the throttle go and then it quits. Any Tips??:confused: