Doodlebug Upgrade Questions

Neek

Hi, I have a stock doodlebug Db30, I was looking to upgrade it simply to make it go faster. I am looking to buy the predator harbor freight 212 Cc OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine (7hp). Also I heard I would need a conversion kit, to make it compatible with the doodlebug. Will the first kit in this link work?: Doodlebug Performance Engine Install Kits
Lastly, if anybody will tell me anything else I would
Need, and about how fast my bike will go after this?
Thanks, Neek.

JoshM

Everything you need to install a 4-7 hp Honda, Clone or Predator OHV engine in a Baja Mini Bike .
Includes PMR Adjustable Mount, 3/4 12t clutch, PMR Clutch Cover and Throttle Linkage Kit
Yeah, sounds like that'll work. You may want to grab a spare chain in case yours isn't long enough.

Your bikes top speed, with stock rear sprocket, will be around 25mph... with quick acceleration.
For a higher top speed, you'll need a smaller rear sprocket (less teeth).
However, generally speaking, the higher the speed, the slower the acceleration.

Neek

Yeah, sounds like that'll work. You may want to grab a spare chain in case yours isn't long enough.

Your bikes top speed, with stock rear sprocket, will be around 25mph... with quick acceleration.
For a higher top speed, you'll need a smaller rear sprocket (less teeth).
However, generally speaking, the higher the speed, the slower the acceleration.
Thanks for the help! Which sprocket would you recommend? Any
Other upgrades I can get for extra speed?

JoshM

I have a 60 tooth clutch on mine. Anything less than that will put quite a bit of strain on the clutch.
If you want more speed, you will need to rev higher than stock (3600rpm). That will include removing the governor and replacing many essential parts with aftermarket replacements that can handle the strain. Stock motors are built to withstand 3600rpm, anything over that and you have a large bomb between your legs... and right below your reproductive organs.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/d...nor-your-engine-OldMiniBikes-please-read.html

Here's some performance (go fast) goodies : http://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Predator-212cc-Racing-Parts/

I would say before you jump into the performance parts, drop the predator in there and ride it for a while. You may like it stock with just that performance upgrade.

JoshM

I would say before you jump into the performance parts, drop the predator in there and ride it for a while. You may like it stock with just that performance upgrade.
Very true. First time i twisted the throttle with the stock Pred I was VERY surprised. I've been riding 2-wheeled vehicles since I was out of diapers... but I was not expecting something so big from something so small.