Dragracertpp, Bonanza Chopper, Vintage Class

That thing threw a rod bad enough to blow a hole through the side AND seize the crank. It must have been spinning hard when it blew, too.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. The plate for on the outside hiding it looks pretty natural too. It covered the entire side of the block right there. I knew something was wrong when the welds started leaking oil [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk

At the time when I had a Roper my friend down the street had a chopper - 5hp, looked really cool, etc. I was envious. Always liked the choppers! Keep it up!

At the time when I had a Roper my friend down the street had a chopper - 5hp, looked really cool, etc. I was envious. Always liked the choppers! Keep it up!
Thanks!! We will! At kind of a stand still now, both are basically done besides engines and seats. So we are pretty close, the Clinton is gone for a couple weeks, the tecumseh we can put in now.

They are both rollers!! The blue one runs great, just needs the throttle on it and brake cable hooked up. Purple one the engine is at a local car builder being pin stripped. Hopefully it will run well, never had a clinton before or started a NOS engine either. These bikes should be done quick! Cant wait to see the seats, Karen's work is always amazing. 20180419_181159.jpg 20180419_181209.jpg 20180419_181036.jpg

Wow that engine looks fantastic on that Bonanza chopper, I wish I would have got some video of that motor running it really sounds good with that header. Your bikes are looking real good guys and I cant wait to see more!

Wow that engine looks fantastic on that Bonanza chopper, I wish I would have got some video of that motor running it really sounds good with that header. Your bikes are looking real good guys and I cant wait to see more!
Thanks Rocco!! We kept that header on it, we will post a video when it's done, motor does sound fantastic. I'm sure you will see it somewhere in person, it looks so much better then the pictures show [emoji23] your motor really looks great on that bike

Really excited about this clinton! Just picked it up, turned out way too cool 20180425_130335.jpg 20180425_130338.jpg 20180425_130348.jpg
Anything special i should do for 1st time start up? Or just mix some gas and go?

Last edited:
Stupid question, it says to use Mobil SAE 30, do I use that or 2 cycle oil? What's the best grade of gas to use too? Or should I find some pure gas?

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

I'm having a hard time with the Clinton. Got it running fine and then it just shut off, started it up again and it ran like crap. It has intermittent spark now so I don't know what happened. Instead of screwing with the engine and damaging it I will find someone to get it running that knows what they are doing.

So... on to plan b, or c or what ever plan now [emoji23] I bought a motor not too long ago that runs great, h35 tecumseh. I will paint it up and order a tank for the bike to use to finish the build off. At some point the Clinton will be on the bike, just not rushing it now.

Got the seats back from Karen and they look great!

Hopefully we get the blue bike done this weekend and the purple bike by next weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

That engine looks awesome! I have had two of those Clinton 2-stroke engines. The same problem with both of them, crankshaft seals going bad and then floods out the points with the gas/oil mixture. Not too hard to fix, just need new seals. If that’s not the problem, there are some people on this forum that really know their stuff about two-stroke Clintons. You’ll get it going!