DRIVEN TORQUE CONVERTER for 1972 Speedway Blue Angel

f4radar

6" pulley for a 5/8 shaft and the spring hub has to be less than 3" to clear the motor mounting base ( I don't really care to trim that plate). 1972 Speedway Blue Angel. Thanks

The plate in question was made to accommodate a CAT TC88 if symmetrical, or TC99 if not. They are long out of production. (1986) The Comet and Comet clones from China are wider, and that is why we need to trim the plate on several bike models.

Trimming the plate is not that difficult, and by doing so, you immediately remove the headache of finding a vintage torque converter that needs to be rebuilt anyway.

You could modify the TC driver to adapt from 5/8 to the new 3/4 with shims, as Comet did this during the transition from the 88/99 series to the 20/30 series.

Here's a TC88 (symmetrical) on Ebay. They don't come up that often. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Comet-TC88...319?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

I have correct nos driven torque converters for the 72-73 speedways. I also have some used ones that need a new shaft.

Last edited:

f4radar

The plate in question was made to accommodate a CAT TC88 if symmetrical, or TC99 if not. They are long out of production. (1986) The Comet and Comet clones from China are wider, and that is why we need to trim the plate on several bike models.

Trimming the plate is not that difficult, and by doing so, you immediately remove the headache of finding a vintage torque converter that needs to be rebuilt anyway.

You could modify the TC driver to adapt from 5/8 to the new 3/4 with shims, as Comet did this during the transition from the 88/99 series to the 20/30 series.

Here's a TC88 (symmetrical) on Ebay. They don't come up that often. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Comet-TC88...319?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0
Right, I have the original driver and so far the bike is all original so I'm going to keep looking for the right driven.
In the mean time I'm leaning toward a ten tooth sprocket clutch and a ten or twelve sprocket on the jack shaft till I find one that fits.