Dune cycle springer joint stuck...

Steve73

Anyone know how to take this apart? Stubborn and rusty. One way moves freely after a soak. The other way of movement is stuck. Thank you for any help.
20200506_173942_HDR.jpg

wjustice

If its stuck that bad, the needle bearings are most likely shot. Go to a GOOD auto parts store and see if they can cross to a new one.. Even if you can free it up, the needles are going to slowly destroy themselves and exit as dust.

Are there C-type retainer clips on the opposite bearing caps? If not, it’s likely epoxied. I would take it to an old school auto parts store and get an opinion.

Steve73

If its stuck that bad, the needle bearings are most likely shot. Go to a GOOD auto parts store and see if they can cross to a new one.. Even if you can free it up, the needles are going to slowly destroy themselves and exit as dust.
I was thinking the same, ugh..
Are there C-type retainer clips on the opposite bearing caps? If not, it’s likely epoxied. I would take it to an old school auto parts store and get an opinion.
Everything has been painted orange and I haven’t tried prying off the round caps, I assume are caps on the outside of these joints. Pretty rusty. Thank you for your responses I hope to have this dune cycle live on...

Steve73

i did see what appears to be some thick c clips opposite of the bearing cap area on the inside of the joint.

Steve73

Are they 3/4 inch or 1" inch
20200510_174041.jpg
One side is 1" that goes to wheel. The other side looks like is 3/4" on the side going into the peerless dif. with some kind of adaptor to bring it to 1"

After soaking and cleaning and rust moving and getting past all the thick paint I can clearly see 4, C Clips. I can rebuild these I think. I just need a U joint press and some patience...