Early 3HP Restoration/Hot-Rod

That's a great looking engine. Hopefully my 5 HP project turns out as nice. I like the look of the unpainted/polished bolts to offset the new paint, even though that wasn't the factory style.

If I may ask a noob question, what is the purpose of the holes drilled around the valve seats?

Last edited:
That's a great looking engine. Hopefully my 5 HP project turns out as nice. I like the look of the unpainted/polished bolts to offset the new paint, even though that wasn't the factory style.

If I may ask a noob question, what is the purpose of the holes drilled around the valve seats?
If my memory serves, older Briggs engines had these. I'm not sure there was any purpose other than to create some turbulence in the chamber or cool the valves some.

I have been having real good luck with the Dupicolor paints from pep boys....block cleaned down use purple power or the parts cleaner carb spray may take the paint and small parts blasted to bare metal then use the self etching primer (green) use the filler primer if needed. then the primer sealer a must.....the dupicolor engine enamels work great on solid colors black hides a lot put the clear on it.......If you need that Taco silver metallic I have been using the brake caliper silver paint with the clear top coat put the clear on within 15 min or it may wrinkle it shows everything!.. works great on the rims also ....To cure parts put it in the oven with only the oven light on (your wife will love this!) this is an old pin strippers trick...great topic

Looks like I forgot to update this! She's done :laugh: Really pops with those decals! I think it came out nice! I have done about 6-7 of these smaller Briggs and you learn more and more each rebuild. Luckily the lins on this motor were in very very good condition. Funny thing, this red motor had a blue 1968 shroud on it. I was looking at a bunch of parts for sale online and saw a blue motor with a red shroud :doah: In the same area my motor came from, too.

Here is the final product, runs really nice.